PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian private airlines and new intl routes

Capt. Manuvar
18th Jun 2004, 11:18
Now that six airlines have got new intl routes, does anyone know if any of the airlines have plans to increase their fleets?
Also whats the job market like at the moment for a rookie (local) CPL?
Thanks
Capt. M

Rani
19th Jun 2004, 06:22
Captain,

I posted a similar message a while ago but got no response. What we know at the moment is that the government has granted select independent carriers international route rights but this will only apply if the mentioned airlines recapitalize to the minimum N500 million for regional flights and N1000 million for intercontinental flights. ADC, Bellview, Kabo and AfriJet got intercontinental route rights to Brussels, Mumbai, Roma and Madrid, respectively.

I believe that some of these airlines are serious about going long haul and may be recapitalizing, at least for the regional routes. It is not so easy for them to raise the required cash but I believe that ADC will do it. Their assigned route to Brussels may be profitable only if developed jointly with SN Airlines, and as for their designated routes to Dakar, Bamako, Abidjan and Libreville, those can be profitable if operated optimally, with the right equipment and frequencies.

I doubt Kabo will ever use its route rights to Roma or Nairobi, and AfriJet is a mainly cargo airline so how they intend to compete against IBERIA which recenrly reentered the Nigerian market is unknown. So again, I doubt they will every operate to Madrid.

Bellview had applied for Lagos-Dubai-Mumbai but was granted only Lagos-Mumbai flight, which is about an 8 hour flight. They cannot possibly fill an aircraft to Mumbai only and to operate this route they will need a long-range aircraft. Flying via Dubai they could pick up passengers there to Mumbai. With the current designation, again, I doubt they will be interested to operate to India unless granted the right to stop somewhere.

Aerocontractors and Chanchangi got regional route rights as well and I think they can succeed.

Best regards