PDA

View Full Version : Calling Eire

headsethair
18th Jun 2004, 10:41
In January the IAA put a new TRA up around Dublin city. It's due to expire June 30th - anyone know if it's being extended ?
And how friendly is Dublin ATC for heli flights these days ? I was there last summer and it seemed fine - but maybe this TRA causes problems ??
Thanks.

Helipolarbear
18th Jun 2004, 11:18
The TRA is based on the security arrangements for the Presidency of the European Union being based out of Dublin.
Ireland steps down 30th June from the position hence the date!
Helicopter Operations in around Dublin are smoothing out. Basically a learning curve for all concerned. If in doubt, call Dublin ATC on the phone and ask your questions to the Local ATC Watch Manager. (Nothing to do with Time)

The name EIRE has British Colonial hints to it in some groups.
Suggest you address the country as IRELAND. Don't worry, even Sloan Helicopters made the same gaff in their previous marketing!!

:p:}

headsethair
18th Jun 2004, 17:26
"The name EIRE has British Colonial hints to it in some groups."

Oh please. Come into the 21st century. Google "Eire" and you get 726,000 hits - and the first pages I saw were all businesses & individuals based in Ireland.

Fly over the Blasket Islands off the SW coast and see the rock arrangment put in place many moons ago - a big arrow pointing east and the word EIRE.

And - what really gets my goat about your pronouncement - I'm an Irish citzen with an Irish passport on the cover of which is the word EIRE. Issued in Dublin.

Saoranach d'Eirinn.

Hedski
18th Jun 2004, 21:57
Bhuel, ta suil againn Headsethair. Ach nior chuir an IAA an TRA ar siul ach an "garda sicini" idir tus d'Eanair agus deireadh de Mheitheamh.
D'usaid "Eire" mar na piolotai Bhriotanaigh sa dara chogadh an domhain. Ma fheiceann siad Eirinn ni bheadh fhios acu ca bheadh siad! Nios shimpli mar sin!
Usaideann an focal ar an passport mar na daoine sna haiteanna ar fud an domhain. Ni mhaith liom focal Bearla mar Ireland ar mo passport, tusa? An publachtanaigh thu?
Agus Google, is iad na 726,000 rudai scriobhtha mar Bhriotanaigh agus daoine as na Stait Aontaithe!
Freagra do na ceisteanna a chuir tu duinn, a headsethair, mo chara! ;)
Cad a mheasann tu Polar?
:ok:

Robbo Jock
18th Jun 2004, 22:04
That's easy for you to say !! :O

MilesDavis
19th Jun 2004, 12:22
Eire is anim di.

Last time I checked our constitution named the country Eire.

Robbo Jock
19th Jun 2004, 21:39
Careful chaps, the odd post or two here could be deemed non-rotary in nature, possibly even (shock horror) tending to the political. I hear the sound of snipping growing ever closer.

Tiger_mate
19th Jun 2004, 22:17
Is EIRE an abreviation of something or a Gaelic word in its own right, and if so, is there an English translation. Ireland works fine for me, but then I am english of irish ancestory. Interested not trolling.