PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Study

GeeBeeZee
18th Jun 2004, 00:54
I know that this topic has been done to death so dont flame me, until you read the entire post.

I have seen the prevous polls on ATPL via theroy providers in AU. Im in a situation that full time study is really not an option and its Rob Avery or Self Study. I have spoken to Rob over email and the guy is really prompt and informative. However i am concerned at my ability to self study ATPL.

Question goes out to all those who have self studied or used Rob Avery's material, how did you do it ? How many did you fail ? Would you do it the same way again ?

thx for your time

GeeBeeZee

bypasspin
18th Jun 2004, 05:54
gbz,

I tried to self study them all but ended up doing a few classes on the harder subjects ie. FP,Nav,AGK. Did a few at old Len Sales at BK (the best on FP) and found the mob at AFT really good for the others. Met, HPL and Air Law can be self studied.

You will get through them, dont let the system get you down as it has its problems.

:ok:

assasin
18th Jun 2004, 12:25
Gee I had the same thoughts that I wouldnt be able to self study these courses as im not the brightest spark, however I also could not afford full time study as I was working as a casual so it ment it would cost double for me full time study. So I was in a corner & had to self study most of the subjects this is what where & how I went with them

(1) performance self studied with AFT passed 2nd go 73%
(2) met self studied with AFT only completed 1/5 of content passed 1st go75%
(3) human factors self studied with trevor thom read book over 2 days passed 1st go 72%
(4) systems with AFT in house course passed 1st go 78%
(5) nav self studied with AFT passed 2nd go 78%
(6) flight planning self studied with AFT passed 1st go 88%
(7) air law self studied with AFT passed 1st go with 98%

I had to set aside a time to study & stick to it relgiously & go over & over the content, you get out what you put in, it wasnt easy for me a lot of hours went in but sure glad its over now. If you have mates that have completed it they may be of good help. It would be great to do the full in house course if able to I know of people passing all 1st go with high passes. Hope this helps & is what your after good luck which ever way you choose :ok:
AND NO I Dont work or have anything to do with AFT just enjoyed the courses & Nathan always had time to help when I needed it.

flyhardmo
21st Jun 2004, 21:11
Guys before i start a new thread i might as well ask here. I attempted the ATPL about 4 yrs ago and then moved overseas and didnt finish it all in the 3 yr period. Does anyone know if the course subject has changed or can i still use my old notes which was: Flight planning on the 727 and AGK on the 767 mainly.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers

m-dot
24th Jun 2004, 08:26
GBZ and all

I am not Rob Avery or related to him and have no interest in his business. Purely a satisfied customer.

Rob is the best around. Plain and simple.

I self studied most of the subjects over a two and a bit years whilst working as a regional charter and RPT pilot. It is not fun trying to study wheil you are overnighting in a roadhouse, motel or black fella community. You spend all day doing the job and then have to study it in the evening. Screw that! Its certainly all in vain if your boss wont give you the day off to do the exam!!

I began by self studying with an Ex RAAF gentleman's course which was catering for someone with a greater initial base of knowledge than me. In my opinion it seemed to miss the syllabus with some basic topics I think he didnt cover. He was however an extremely helpful and motivating person.

I struggled through all of them on my own except FPL.

As it goes, FPL was the only one left to go and I only had one sitting remaining before I had to resit ll of them.

I booked mydelf onto his FPL course, took thetime off work and a few weeks later found myself in Maroochy. I sat myself in the front row and imagined my self as a knowledge sponge. He said that if I paid attention in class and did the homework I would be fine.

You will notice that Rob Would be great at teching anything because;
1) his teaching was in small digestible chunks
2) he went at the rate of the slowest in the class
3) he gave us freqent breaks
4) was Extremely knowledgeable on the material
5) he had the odd joke/story but not enought o be distracting

Passed it first time with 93 percent, and spent the next two days recovering.

Had a great time in Maroochy becasue we ended up going out somewhere everynight after we had done our homework.

Rob saved me a lot of grief and I would recommend his course to anyone who wants to get the nightmare of ATPL exams over with quickly.

Just go and book yourself in, pay attention, do the work and it will all be over with in a few weeks instead of the 3 years it took me!

Capt Fathom
26th Jun 2004, 12:12
Im in a situation that full time study is really not an option.......However i am concerned at my ability to self study ATPL.

If you really want to do it, you'll find a way.

Living End
26th Jun 2004, 14:08
flyhardmo,

i am just finishing flight planning now and have studied the AGK. it is still as you say, the nice blue book for 727 flt pln, and most of the systems questions relate to the 767. hope this helps...LE

flyhardmo
27th Jun 2004, 09:20
Thanks LE. I also wanted to know if nything new has been added in the last 2-3yrs. I only get home once a yr so its difficult to find out.