PDA

View Full Version : UK flight schools - CPL/ATPL

ETOPS
17th Jun 2004, 20:56
Pardon me for intruding here but I have been asked to help a friend. His son has completed his initial training in the USA (self sponsored) and is now looking to get his Uk licence - the bit that costs £20,000+. Can anyone recommend a good UK based school? It's 25 years since I did this myself so I'm well out of date. What they are looking for is some personal feedback about the good, the bad or whatever............

trainer too 2
17th Jun 2004, 22:31
Use your search function and you will find 1000+ answers to this topic.. :8

Ally Minium
18th Jun 2004, 12:22
The problem here is that you will mostly get replies from 3 groups of people:

1 ) those like me who have connections with Flight Schools and therefore (understandably) have vested interests.

2 ) People who have only trained at 1 school, are happy with it and will (understandably) promote that school.

3 ) People who have had a bad experience at one school and a good experience elsewhere and therefore (understandably) will be negative about the first and positive about the second.

The trouble therefore is that group 1 would be mad to recommend the opposition, group 2 may have rose-tinted specs about a bad school that they did alright at and group 3 may have contributed to that bad experience themselves and so their experiences may not reflect what the school is really like.

I suggest visiting a few - go and speak to the instructors and the students. First impressions may count for a lot or be misleading - so spend a little time there and get a feel for it.

ETOPS
19th Jun 2004, 22:45
Ally Minium

Thanks for that - have found out enough to set them off in the right direction, including the FS2004 show in Blackpool this weekend.