PDA

View Full Version : A little Dilemma

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
17th Jun 2004, 12:53
My dilemma is such,

I am hopefully about to finish my ATPL ground school in a month or so and I then have to decide where to do my CPL and IR. Here are my options:

I currently have 150 tt and 80 pic. I can go to the states and get my JAA CPL and then back to the UK for my Instrument rating. On talking to a few instructors and so on i have been advised that this may be a real struggle if all my flying has been in the states and all the money saved over there, may have to be spent here in the long run to get my Instrument Rating anyway.

Has anyone out there done the CPL abroad and then the IR back in the UK and can you tell me whether it has been tough? Would you have rather done the 'professional' licenses in the UK?

The school I am looking at is West Flight Aviation in Gloucestershire. I have heard from many sources this is an excellent professional outfit. Are there any current or ex students who can help me along with my decisions?

Thanks very much

Ropey Pilot
17th Jun 2004, 13:22
Cloud Surfer,

I did just that, CPL in the states and IR back here. I am ex-mil rotary so I am not a total 'newbie' but I found no difficulties in this at all.

You don't say where you got your 150hrs, but if they are in UK then you definitely have nothing to worry about. Nav/airspace etc in Florida is less complicated IMHO (not a lot of either about - vast open spaces), but the courses are still run to a JAA sylabus and standards with JAA instructors and examiners. IR is very different so it will be a change regardless.

The only real issue is if you do a ME/CPL on one ac type and your IR on another, but again that shouldn't really be a huge problem, some people have problems converting from a C150 to a C 170 - that is your call.

The biggest difference I found was one of over £2000 - even after flights, visa, accommodation etc had been taken into account.

Whichever way you go - good luck:ok:

PA-28 CLOUD SURFER
17th Jun 2004, 22:10
Thanks for the response to my post; I really am quite confused. I keep getting such differing advice I think I am coming to the conclusion that it is very much individual and can't really be stated if it is harder or easier, just like a lot of aviation issues.

I completed approximately 100 hrs in the states and am beginning to feel it would be money well spent if I stayed in the UK to get the next parts of my license.

If anybody else is in the same situation or can offer any more advice it would be greatly appreciated,

CPL in the US then IR in UK, or everything in the UK?

Thanks

Surfer