PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain DVD

A/Tpr Cooper
17th Jun 2004, 11:16
A quality movie, added 5.1 dolby digital sound. Fantastic!

Achtung, SPITFIRE!

snaggletooth
17th Jun 2004, 23:07
My favourite scene is where the Polish pilot, flying for the RAF, is shot down & parachutes into a cornfield being tended by 'John Bull'.

Polish pilot greets the farmer in halting & highly accented English, "Gut afternoon"
to which the farmer replies,
"Good afternoon my @rse you Bosch b@rstard. Get yer 'ands up, go on, gerrem up!"

Priceless

Kiting for Boys
18th Jun 2004, 08:21
Get the new one with all the added features.

Bridge too Far is good too

The Ferret
18th Jun 2004, 22:15
If you ask me "The Cruel Sea" is the best DVD out today! Of course its all ships and only a couple of aircraft - but the line "Snorkers Good Oh" has to be a winner!:ok: :ok: :ok:

Arclite01
19th Jun 2004, 17:48
Is the ship in the Cruel Sea called 'Compass Rose' ?

polyglory
20th Jun 2004, 06:32
The first ship, the Flower Class Corvette was called the Compass Rose and the second one was Saltash Castle I believe.

A Classic indeed.:D

BEXIL160
20th Jun 2004, 16:53
The Flower Corvette was indeed named "Compass Rose".

The vessel used in the film was ex HMS Coreopsis. He she had been lent to the Hellenic Navy, but was brought back to the UK in 1952. She wasn't in the best state. Made somewhat more seaworthy she was used for "The Cruel Sea", and painted as K49.

Not long after the end of film she was scrapped, sadly :(

My connection? My Grandfather was her coxswain for the making of the film (not the actor, the real coxswain).

Long gone now also, I wish I'd known him better.

Rgds bEX

skua
22nd Jun 2004, 12:24
But back to the BoB DVD. Can anyone tell me which airfields were used for the filming - apart from Duxford that is? Were the scenes of Heinkel (CASA) 111's taking off from grass filmed in Spain?

Thanks in advacne,

Skua

Kolibear
22nd Jun 2004, 12:42
I believe that North Weald was also used for a few scenes, but I'd like to know which ones.

pr00ne
22nd Jun 2004, 12:55
Skua,

Some filming was done at Hawkinge as well as Duxford and North Weald. On the DVD commentary where the director describes the scenes, frequently when he refers to 'Duxford Airport' the actual scenes shown are from North Weald.

There were few He111 look alike CASA's in the UK but I think no more than two, the multiple shots of the German bombers both on the ground and in the air were shot in Spain.

wub
22nd Jun 2004, 15:28
I believe Henlow was used in some scenes too.