PDA

View Full Version : Should I bother?

fatobs
17th Jun 2004, 10:59
Folks,
Not often I am on this forum, but have a few questions you may be able to help with....

Just coming up to the end of my military time, flying backseat Sea Kings in the senior service (Navy for those not in the know).

14yrs 3000 + hours (1800 as aircraft captain)
1000 hrs SAR
A2 Instructor (Nav / general airmanship / warfare / tactics / NVG etc)

Am looking for a real job and thinking about building on my current PPL and continue getting the rest of my licences.

Question is?

Does my military experience count for anything and will it be seen as advantageous or will I be considered at interview as having the same experience as those with the same number of fixed wing flying hours? (who will probably be far younger than me)

I will be 38 when I leave will this be a disadvantage?

It is obviously a large financial outlay when there may be other options available and all help will be appreciated

Thanks

Yellow Sun
17th Jun 2004, 11:41
Fatobs,

If you enable the PM option (Private Message - receive email through the board) on your profile I shall reply to you.

Rgds
Yellow Sun

Sky Goose
17th Jun 2004, 12:47
Theres an outfit in Exeter who convert Military Helo pilots to fATPL's. They have done many military to civilian conversions.

Airways Flight Training Exeter Tel: 01392 364 216

Very good outfit, did my FAA CPL to JAA fATPL conversion there.

fatobs
18th Jun 2004, 11:57
Yellow Sun

PM now enabled (I think bit of a computer gimp)

Look forward to hearing from you

Rgds

fatobs

Yellow Sun
18th Jun 2004, 13:46
fatobs,

See your PMs

YS

scroggs
18th Jun 2004, 18:18
Where's BEagle when you need him...;)

As I understand it, there are few (if any) exemptions for non-pilot military aircrew when obtaining a civilian flying qualification, though your Education Centre should be able to give you chapter and verse on that. However, your experience will carry some weight, particularly with those outfits that have a high proportion of ex-mil pilots.

When I left the RAF in 1998, I was aware of a number of fast-jet back seaters that spent their gratuities getting an fATPL, and they were generally welcomed to the airlines with open arms - though the hiring environment was healthier then than it is now. I believe there are a few working with me at Virgin, though I can't off the top of my head name any.

Whatever the current situation, you are pretty much committed to a major change of career and lifestyle whatever field of endeavour you choose, and I'd say you're reasonably well-placed compared to other wannabes - but your age is a handicap. Check the reference thread on the Wannabes/Professional Pilot Training forum for links to age-related threads (and a lot of other useful stuff).

Best of luck!

Scroggs