PDA

View Full Version : CRT Monitor Problem

Diverse
16th Jun 2004, 22:13
Hi folks just wondering if anyone can help with this problem with my monitor.

Everything seems to be working okay but the display seems to be wobbling occasionally, it has the appearance as if the screen was in a tank of water and the picture wobbles independently of the casing. Sometimes the display seems to flick slightly as if I were using the controls to adjust the alignment if the screen. I've tried the latest drivers and reverted to it's original drivers. Still a problem.

If it's what I think it is (knacked) can anyone recommend a good TFT monitor.

Diverse
17th Jun 2004, 07:19
Thanks for the reply TCS.

The Monitor is a 17" Proview EN171. The speakers were in the same place as they've always been but I moved them anyway. I've manually degaussed it now. The problem is still there.

The display seems to cure itself after it's been switched on a while. Is it worth a try removing and reinserting the graphics card?

under_exposed
17th Jun 2004, 07:46
You do not have the video cable running parallel to a power cable do you?

Diverse
17th Jun 2004, 09:43
The cables aren't running parrallel under_exposed, looking at the spaghetti down the back there nothings parrallel, thanks for the suggestion though.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
17th Jun 2004, 17:14
Diverse,

Do tell us the date of manufacture for the monitor. (Should be on the sticker on the back side of the monitor.)

I would try changing the refresh rate. If that does not cure the problem, then swap the monitor with one from another computer. You want to see if the problem stays with the computer or moves with the monitor.

Take Care,

Richard

Memetic
18th Jun 2004, 13:06
You don't have a cell phone any where near the monitor or cables by any chance?

Memetic.

Diverse
18th Jun 2004, 23:11
Memetic, I've got a digital cordless phone next to it, is that likely to cause a problem? I've moved it and there's no change with the monitor.

Naples, I haven't swapped the monitor yet, I've tried different refresh rates and different resolutions, same problem no matter what. Also it's a 17" Proview Model EM171 manufactured in January 2002.

Thanks for the help so far.

Latest, you know when you connect something like a camera to a usb port and you get the low/high beep from windows, well it's doing that occasionally. Then I can select some massive refresh rates on the display settings (I didn't, I don't want to definitely bust it) then a few minutes later it will restrict the settings to the refresh rates that the monitor will support again. Do you think this points to a graphics card or driver problem?

Memetic
19th Jun 2004, 11:03
I've got a digital cordless phone next to it, is that likely to cause a problem? I've moved it and there's no change with the monitor

If it has been moved with no change i'd say no.

I asked as some of the older monitors at work flicker a bit if a cell phone is very close.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Jun 2004, 13:33
Diverse,

I still would like to know what happens when you swap monitors.

Since the monitor is about 2 years old, I would think about sending the monitor in for warranty if the monitor is identified as the problem.

Take Care,

Richard

Diverse
23rd Jun 2004, 14:45
Thanks for all the help with this problem. It finally began flickering and varying the brightness to such an extent as to be unusable. It's been replaced by a Samsung 17"TFT Monitor. 1280X1024 resolution. (I was looking for an excuse anyway.) No problems at all with the new monitor jumping about so it must be an internal monitor problem, the local computer shop was fairly non-commital and to be honest they had new 17" CRT monitors for £80 so it's probably not worth paying someone to have a look inside.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jun 2004, 17:30
Diverse,

Enjoy your new monitor.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If the old monitor is still under warranty, send it in anyway. (You can always use it as a backup, or is you have dual VGA Outs, as a second monitor on your current system.) ;)

Diverse
23rd Jun 2004, 20:51
You know what Naples, I decided whilst installing the new monitor to clear the computer clutter in the cupboard so I had space to dump a new piece of clutter. Spookily the original receipt fell out and the warranty is still valid. I'll let them have a look and let you know what they found out.