PDA

View Full Version : Low hour biz jet jobs

caramel
16th Jun 2004, 17:23
With low hours and a type rating on say a citation 1 would you be able to get freelance work or even a job? or is it a market for 1000+ hour guys?????

Chilli Monster
16th Jun 2004, 17:29
Suggest you read the first page of this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132997) and draw your own conclusions!

Miles Magister
18th Jun 2004, 21:35
Don't bother with a CI, they are old jets. However, new Citations are being ordered faster than Cessna can fill out the order forms. Get your self a Bravo/Encore or Excel rating and there will be jobs around next year for those willing to work hard.

caramel
19th Jun 2004, 16:46
Thanks for the more positive feedback

Any info on how much it would likely cost for a type rating? I've looked at flight safety and simuflight have couldn't find a price for it

With this rush of orders is it more likely to get a job with lowish hours then?

Kopeloi
19th Jun 2004, 16:55
I think that you are much better off not to do any type rating on your own. Find a job first and if they insist that you need to pay your own then make that rating after you have a contract in writing!
I had a very good experience with a young French pilot who got hired with some 300 hours (0 jet time) for CL600. He did extremely well and flew 2000 hours in four years. Today rated as CL60 captain.
So it can happen that one get a job with low hours.
Nikolai

caramel
19th Jun 2004, 18:38
Kopeloi - Thats what I was hoping to do was speak to as many people as possible and get some feedback. I do have a few contacts in the industry so hopefully someone can help.

There's no way i'm in the position to be able to buy a type rating then look for a job I'd only do it if I got it in writing that there was something on offer I mentioned citation because they seem quite a popular type in the uk.

Kopeloi
19th Jun 2004, 21:27
Yes, be very carefull with your money. Do not even offer to do it until it is absolutely required. Good companies usually will get you trained for. Use all your contacts and think positively!
Good luck.
Nikolai

df1
9th Jul 2004, 11:58
Hello all,

Sorry to go over old ground with this, but could I re-phrase caramel's question slightly?

I can see that there are firm views against a self sponsored type rating, and that there are undoubtedly risks in doing so. But, my question is simply "can a type qualifiaction improve or enhance a low hour pilot's chances of employment?".

We talk about "good" companies who will possibly offer the training as part of the employment package but even from their point of view it must surely be a bonus to see a type rating, even if with low hours or on a different type?

My apologies if this has been explained already. Thanks.

Miles Magister
9th Jul 2004, 19:00
df1,

It is a sad fact of life that you will have to put some money up front in the current market. I and many others have been extreemly luck with a long career, 27 years, of flying everything from gliders to big jets and most of the stuff in between and only ever paid for a couple of hours of it. Unfortunatley as margins are low for operators and so long as there are youngsters around willing to pay for ratings then companies will not pay a rating when they can get it for free. Straight hard fact of life in the free market. You will not be so lucky unless you marry the bosses daughter!

That said even the good companies require a type rating at the moment. Kopeloi speaks the ideal but it is unlikely to happen to you.

Getting a type rating will improve your chances from very low to mediocre. There are jobs out there and it is an improving situation. You must decide if you want to work in corporate before embarking on a type rating. Dont just do it because you cant get a job with an airline. Corporate is generally considered below turboprop first officer in the credability stakes.

you have to decide what you really want before outlaying any money.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

MM

I'm gone!
21st Jul 2004, 23:33
Gday all,

Miles,

You comment that corp. flying may be regarded with less cred. than turbo prop f/o. How so?

I have a couple of thousand turbo prop f/o hours and am about to exchange that for a corp. job.

Cheers,

I'm gone!

KitKatPacificuk
25th Jul 2004, 22:20
I agree with I'm gone. Corporate below turboprop. I don't think so. Give me a Citation, Hawker, Falcon etc anyday over an ATR, Fokker 50 or Dash 8.

Guys a dying to get out of turboprops into a bizjet.