PDA

View Full Version : Airbus lower floor galleys?

richxby
16th Jun 2004, 09:30
The other day I saw a picture of a lower floor galley on an A340, I think it was a Lufthansa one. I know Mytravel have downstairs loo's as it were which seems like a good idea, but then I thought whats the point of having a galley downstairs? What do they do with all the carts + meals etc? Just seemed like a funny setup to me hehe

Cyrano
16th Jun 2004, 09:52
Usually there are lifts for the carts.

Lower-deck galleys (like lower-deck toilets) can have an advantage on routes where the airline wants to maximise main-deck space (=seats) but doesn't mind sacrificing some lower-deck space (=cargo). They're not a new idea - as I recall, they used to be an option on the Tristar and maybe DC10 too.

apaddyinuk
21st Jun 2004, 23:41
Also a number of airlines with high density 747's used to make use of the upper deck galley which otherwise would have only had a small number of seats to cater for and send full carts down the lifts to the main deck!!!!

BDANtheman29
22nd Jun 2004, 04:41
Wouldn't it make more sense to have additional room for cargo? I would think airlines would be more profitable with that instead of 6 or 10 extra seats/flight.