PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life . . . . .

The Wizard of Shnoz
16th Jun 2004, 05:23
I'm interested to know just what a 'typical' day's work as a RAAF pilot involves. Is there such a thing as a 'typical' day? I often hear of ground jobs - what are some examples of these? If most guys only get about 200hrs/year (?) then what do they do, once employment training is complete, on a non-flying day?

Thanks in advance.

TheShadow
16th Jun 2004, 17:41
Hmm, let's see now......
Mess manager, SARO, SearchMaster, OC Airman's Block #1/2/3 etc, Officers Mess Secretary (endlesly chasing Mess Bills of base and visiting officers), Bar Officer -doing endless bar recce's (reconciliations of funds taken in versus the number of fluid ozs left of this that or the other), courses (Flying safety officer, CO's short legal), OETC (Officers' Extension Tutorial Course that makes sure you write "Service Writing") in preparation for Staff College, Staff College (in preparation for being a bum-boy PA for a one-star General or above), OIC Canteen, OIC Airmen's Mess Committee, Ground Safety Officer, OIC endless mundanities. And that's before you become a QFI and get to nurse-maid cadets etc (teach Groundschool, take marching lessons and ceremonial sword drill, wipe their eyes and their rear-ends). If along the way you get a chestful of medals, you'll be perpetually stitched for Battle of Britain Day Parades and Opening of State Parliament etc, etc - While all the mateys are flying overhead on the flypasts you'll be standing to attention, wondering whose rifle just fell to bits behind you at the "Present Arms", trying not to giggle at the police horse that is indulging itself in the never-ending crapperooni and watching the white paint that the Vietnam moratorium crowd has thrown at you slowly run down your nose and drip off it........ Then you listen to the pathetically unmelodious PA croaking of your Officer Commanding (the Reviewing Officer who asked you whether the written program's direction of "National Anthem - all sing" should apply to him as Reviewing Officer?"). You knew he was going to take his own advice all along - or maybe he was just trying to humour the Moratorium Crowd.....

After that you march the boys around in circles for a while until some kindly soul removes a crowd barricade and you can gallop them off into the distance - away from the madding crowd.

When you've eventually been stitched up for them all, you decide it's time to go.........

Once you've "gone" you realise that you should have gone far far earlier.....

But in my case I had 15 months at war thrown in - then another war in my next air force. Never figured if I was a glutton for punishment or my own worse enema - or both

But then again the worse enema is taking it endlessly. Only you can tell when enough is enough......or so I thought, but my wife had been telling me that for years. I had to wait until I got to the higher head-shed to discover what I'd suspected all along (i.e. that we were being run by a bunch of cackling geese) for it to suddenly hit home. Then I lit out ....as they say....

Time Bomb Ted
17th Jun 2004, 01:15
The difference between an RPT pilot and a RAAF pilot is simple.

RPT Pilot flies from A to B.
A RAAF Pilot flies from A to drop bombs on B.

I'd much rather get 700 hrs in an F-111 than 700 hrs in a 737, however Australia would never be able to afford it unfortunately. My hat goes off to the guys and girls in todays RAAF.

TBT

Aussie
17th Jun 2004, 01:22
Thanks for that last comment, Time bomb ted.

Yeah basically in the RAAF, your an officer first, and a pilot second.
just like your a soldier first and your job second in the army...

You get ground postings, hence spend 1-2yrs on the ground not flying! Joys....

F111 pilots are lucky to get a 100hr a yr.
C130pilots get around 300hr a yr

theres a comparison!

Happy flying fellas!

Time Bomb Ted
17th Jun 2004, 04:30
Anyone know what the retention rate is for RAAF pilots these days?
Do they still have the retention bonus?

TBT

Aussie
17th Jun 2004, 05:06
Yeah mate, a yrs pay and thats taxed as far as i know.

Woodend1
17th Jun 2004, 07:16
I'd just like to thank the 2 F-111 drivers that have been resident at NZCH the last week. Touch and gos, 60' nose up full reheat, big wingover into the downwind. Looks good I tell you especially in the twilight. More please.:D

The Wizard of Shnoz
17th Jun 2004, 10:30
So what do the F-111 guys do for the 8444 hours in a year they are not performing wingovers?

ginjockey
17th Jun 2004, 23:26
I would imagine that they probably spend the time wishing they were up there doing wingovers...............

Captain Sand Dune
18th Jun 2004, 01:37
300HRS/year for Herc drivers!? That's sad! I'm getting more than that in the training world - and that's sad too!:eek:

Aussie
18th Jun 2004, 01:58
yeah tell me about it.
Thats the joys of flying for the RAAF, not much flying and then a ground posting!!!
Awesome!
Maybe not...

Thats just the way it is though. 12yrs sign up too!
SO ya 30 + by the time your out!

poison_dwarf
18th Jun 2004, 03:05
1 hour in an F-111 != 1 hour in a C-152

Although you'd be annoyed if you signed up for the RAAF and got assigned to ARDU flying the DC-3...

(I know they're gone now - you know what I mean ;) )

Captain Sand Dune
18th Jun 2004, 04:06
1 hour in an F-111 != 1 hour in a C-152

You angling for a wind-up?

poison_dwarf
18th Jun 2004, 04:37
You angling for a wind-up?

Hardly

Just trying to make the point that you can't compare the job satisfaction purely on hours.

A mate of mine is now in Tindal flying Hornets and reckons he has the best job in the world.

A fast jet costs a little more per hour than the C-152 (and most other aircraft), so they squeeze as much into every flight as they can.

And I believe that RAAF fighter pilots actually get more flying hours than their Israeli counterparts (please correct me if I'm wrong)

DoctorProctor
18th Jun 2004, 14:11
I would have to disagree with the 'officer first' philosophy. The instructors will throw this party line during initial training, but in reality, in the squadrons that I've experienced, you are a pilot first. You go to work to fly. Of course, you need to contribute to the running of the squadron, but in my experience, most of these jobs are flying related. - You don't jump out of a hornet and then run away to do the book keeping at the mess!!

The RAAF is an absolutely awesome place to work. Without a doubt, you have the opportunity to do the best flying in Australia. You are surrounded by people who are not driven by the 'dollar', and if you get into the right units, most of these people are very professional. As a young guy, I cannot think of a more rewarding career in any field.

I don't know how motivating most of the PPRUNE threads would be to a prospective pilot. I truly feel sorry that a lot of the airline and GA guys are having such a hard time in the industry at the moment. The RAAF is definately a place where you can enjoy the flying, not worry about losing your job next month, and not worry about the bottom line ('cause 20 million of your closest friends are paying for the tonnes of kero you burn on every flight).

There are downsides to life in the RAAF, but the upsides definately outway them by a long shot, especially while you are young. Don't believe the recruiting ads. It's not a normal job.