PDA

View Full Version : Virgin America low-cost carrier unveiled

Wirraway
16th Jun 2004, 03:34
Travelbiz

Virgin America low-cost carrier unveiled

Virgin's new low-fare US-based airline was named Virgin America yesterday.

The unveiling of the name was accompanied by an announcement that the carrier would buy and lease up to 105 narrow-body jets from Airbus in a deal estimated to be worth USD1 billion.

Virgin America head Frederick Reid said the airline has placed an order to buy 11 124-passenger A319s and seven 150-passenger A320s, to be delivered early in 2005.

Reid did not divulge details of Virgin America's route plans, other than that it would fly between New York and San Francisco.

Virgin group head Richard Branson, a UK citizen, will be a minority shareholder in the airline, as US law forbids foreigners from owning more than 49 per cent of a domestic carrier.

Virgin America has yet to identify its US-based investors.

16 June 2004

========================================

Buster Hyman
16th Jun 2004, 03:47
I still think Virgin Bush had a nice ring to it.

What a pity Australia doesn't protect it's companies from foreign ownership like America does.:(

elektra
16th Jun 2004, 04:47
Was Rupert Murdoch an Australian citizen when he was running Ansett into the ground? Or Sir Peter? Does it even matter. They certainly didn't behave like citizens of a half decent country. Or was it OK that they dismantled Ansett from within because they were "one of us"?

And if Sir Richard hadn't started up VB all the jobs created would have never happened. It's a global industry, get over it Buster.

Buster Hyman
16th Jun 2004, 05:58
I believe that when they took over Ansett, they were Australian citizens, but I'm happy to be corrected. Besides, I am over it & I was directing my post at the 49% ownership clause. Perhaps your brittle shell is too vulnerable to a perceived slight of Sir Dick's name?

And if Sir Richard hadn't started up VB all the jobs created would have never happened.
Whats the score there elektra, 3000? 3500 jobs? Do we really want to go down this path again? I don't & it was not my posts intention to either.

If you're happy to hijack the thread, please, continue....:hmm: