PDA

View Full Version : Colour deficiency and airline medicals

PSP1224
15th Jun 2004, 06:23
Hi all

I have slight colour deficiency (green) in both eyes, meaning that I fail the ishihara test, but have sat and passed the farnsworth lantern test. Based on this, I have been able to get a CPL with no restrictions (except glasses) and a NVFR rating. So no real problems here.

My question though, is do airlines (particularly Qantas - should I ever get the opportunity) have standards that are different from CASA's, which may be an obstacle for me in passing their OHA?

many thanks
PSP

poison_dwarf
15th Jun 2004, 11:55
Hi PSP,
Sorry - I don't know about airline standards, but PD Jnr wants to be a pilot like his dad (a PPL) and I believe he has the same colour blindnes (shades of green - showed him the tests on the web), if you could post what you learn it would be appreciated.

Crash & Burn
15th Jun 2004, 13:27
A lot of information on this subject can be found here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100326).

I know Qantas have their own medical standards and I believe their colour vision standard is higher than that accepted by CASA but it's been a long time since I heard that so it may have changed.

Regional airlines generally don't have their own medical departments and therefore don't have their own individual standards. As long as you can pass your CASA medical they are happy!

Cheers

C & B

Hawk
15th Jun 2004, 13:36
PSP, this topic is currently running in Medical and Health..might be worthwhile also posting there.
Cheers

mole1010
16th Jun 2004, 01:00
g'day all!

provided you have an unrestricted class one medical you will be fine, the medical that qantas gives you is pretty much exactly the same, i know a guy who initially failed his class one due to colour deficiency, he got another opinion, did the lantern test, passed and is now happily up the pointy end of a 744.

Tankengine
16th Jun 2004, 01:22
Australian standards on colourblindness are higher than some overseas. I have a good mate who could not get an Aussie medical years ago so got a US one and after years O/S is now a 777 Captain for SQ based Brisbane.
There are alternatives!:O

poison_dwarf
16th Jun 2004, 02:27
Thanks guys - that might make PD Jr happy. His dad just has to win the Lotto to pay for his training. Still got 8 years I 'spose.

redsnail
16th Jun 2004, 12:45
As far as I was aware, if you have colour blindness of a degree that can be measured and noted, then your medical has a limitation on it. This limitation restricts your ATPL to Australian FIR's only. (Note, I saw this on a licence in 2000). In theory, you could work for QF domestic but you couldn't fly overseas.

I would gather as much info as possible and if need be, see Dr Arthur Pape's website.

Crash & Burn
16th Jun 2004, 14:01
If you can past the test done in Melbourne (and mentioned in the post linked from my post above) then there is no mention what so ever of colour vision deficiency on your medical and there are no restrictions in regards to where you can fly.

Cheers

C & B