PDA

View Full Version : Question for QF737 pilots

Soulman
15th Jun 2004, 03:24
Hey guys,

I was thinking about QF's 737 domestic fleet today and I was wondering how the pilot's are assigned to different series.

I understand that the type rating training can cover from the 300 series through to the 800NG's.

So, say if Johnny Appleseed gets a job in Qantas flying 73's and he has a 737 type rating all inclusive 3/4/5/6-900 series - who decides what he flies and can he for instance, fly a 300 series on Monday and then jump into an NG on Tuesday?

Or is he restricted to just one type? I understand a 3/400 cockpit is practically identical, but the move from steam to glass would be a bit more substansial.

Just interested to know.

Cheers,

Soulman.

404 Titan
15th Jun 2004, 04:35
Soulman

I don’t work for QF but I would say it depends how the roster falls. Maybe bases would have a slight influence on the percentage of classic and NG flying you did. At the end of the day it would be line ops that decided what aircraft to operate where and you would have to fit into it.

mole1010
15th Jun 2004, 05:47
the crews jump from one a/c to the other depending on what aircraft is operating. i have known crews who have flown the 400 in the morning and then jumped into the NG that same afternoon. Qantas used to initially train new FO's on the 300/400 fleet for a while and then promote them to the NG's a little later, however now, FO's are trained on the NG's straight away.

woftam
15th Jun 2004, 08:39
You can and sometimes do fly all three variants in a day.
i.e. -300,-400 and -800.
All QF B737 crew are now endorsed on all three variants.

Soulman
15th Jun 2004, 11:20
Thanks for the replies so far guys - it's interesting to note. I guess it probably keeps the crews on their toes and gives them something different every once so often.

So, to those in the know (ie - active QF 737 pilots) - what's it like changing cockpits? Do you enjoy going from a 300 to an NG? Or vice versa? Or do you rather enjoy the days when your stuck on one type?

Just keen to know. I think it would a little a bit more to the day - but then again, I'm happy cruising around HSM in my PA-28 all day!

Cheers,

Soulman.