PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 737 MMA

zedder
15th Jun 2004, 00:09
Announced late today in the states:

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2004/q2/nr_040614n.html

Given that BAe have made a right meal of turning an MPA into a new MPA, I wonder how Boeing will do turning a 737 into a MMA?

Then there's the number of engines issue. I don't care what the reliability might be, personally in any situation where some bad guys might be shooting at you, I'd rather have 4 than 2 any day.

On the plus side, I am sure there will some big benefits in terms of the Mission System, given that Boeing's Mission System on Nimrod MRA4 seems to be one of the more successful aspects.

Thoughts from the floor?

Magoodotcom
15th Jun 2004, 07:54
Agree that four donks would be preferable over two, but these were the only two contenders, and besides, I suspect the days of long overwater patrol flights are numbered.

Most potential operators (such as the US and Australia, and I imagine Germany, Japan and the UK (with MR4) down the track) will be using the MMA in a hi-lo combination with Global Hawk or Mariner type UAVs.

The HALEUAV will do the long laborious patrol work, and the MMA will be directed to investigate and if necessary, prosecute unidentifyable contacts. The clear advantage of the 737MMA over its Lockheed rival in this scenario is its dash speed of 550+ kts vs 350. Not only will this allow the 737 to arrive at the 'target' 60% faster, but also move on to the next target quicker. The 737 will also have a much higher operating altitude, allowing its sensors to scan a wider area, its comms/datalinks to transmit and receive over a longer distance, and the giving it the ability to launch standoff weapons to longer ranges from altitude and higher launch speeds.

Although we haven't ordered it, for Australia, the commonality with Wedgetail AEW&C and BBJ transports give good economies of scale, and the establishment of a regional 737NG maintenance facility at RAAF Amberley to follow on from the Wedgetail fitout only sweeten the choice.

Overall, a good decision me thinks.

Cheers:ok: