PDA

View Full Version : Angola........?

nevaeh gypsy
14th Jun 2004, 22:01
Good day,

I am interested in hearing any comments or ideas on the flying in Angola? Has anyone lived/living in Luanda, and how is the lifestyle for an expat? Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I am contemplating a new opportunity.

cheers.......oh yeah any good surfing?:E

Herc Jerk
15th Jun 2004, 03:53
1st things first, check out:

Surfing Angola (http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Africa/Angola/index.php3)

You should be able to hook up with the current crew through this website and/or Richard the webmaster. Although you'll probably be going in with Rossair/Balmoral or who ever is operating the lighties there these days and i think some of these guys surf too, at least they did last time i was there. Just don't go alone! Last time i surfed there was during the war so things will be less... nervous... these days but you will still need a 4wd and preferably at least 2. The guys will have it all wired so just hook up with them and go along. Its a good crew and the waves are well worth it.

Winter (mid year) is the best time for swell, but take a 3/2 steamer as the water gets a little chilly. Also take every-bloody-thing else you may need (boards/wax/spare leggies/solar res) as there is nowhere to get it in angola.

Classic crowd free surfing... enjoy!

HJ

Islander Jock
15th Jun 2004, 19:57
G´day nevaeh gypsie,

I'm currently working in Luanda but not directly in aviation.
Whilst it is not a great city to live, there are certainly a lot worse on this side of the continent.

Nightlife is probably best confined to the usual expat haunts such as the main hotel bars and also bars and restaraunts along the Ilya (spelling?).

pvt mail me if you'd like any specific info. Unlike Herk Jerk , I havent tried the surfing here (in fact I havent tried surfing anywhere for about 30 years) But I do regularly see one or two boards coming off the baggage carousel in Luanda 4 de Fevereiro.

cpt
16th Jun 2004, 23:53
Luanda is defintely better and more "relax" than it was some years ago, and despite terrible traffic jams, atmospheric pollution and a very expensive cost of living, I have even met crews (at least one ) who admitted to like it !
:hmm:
....personnally, I have known much better places in my gypsy life....and my 5 weeks rotation fits me well.

King Red
18th Jun 2004, 17:42
Luanda is a dump, dont let anyone tell you any otherway. I spent 10 weeks there and it was not pleasant in any way. Dirty and disgusting. One mens mag voted the woman as the dirtiest in the world

The people are terrable ad attacking in their nature so make friends.

Get some good mates and do stuff over the wekend and on time off. Outside the city is fine.

Watch out for the controllers who like to cause S**t and look for bribes. They are not shy and will try shut you down. More comon during Christmas I suppose. Just keep all eyes open for russian aircraft.

Hope not to paint a bad picture, there is a good side I am sure. Maybe I just had a raw deal.

Go make the most of it mate.
Cheers