PDA

View Full Version : Zyban

cessna l plate
14th Jun 2004, 21:44
Hi Guys

Just before you think I can't type, this is the drug used for smoking cessation.

Having been on the ground all year due to lack of funds, I have realised that what I spend on coffin nails each week, comes to about the same as an hour in the air evey week. Simple maths says, pack it in and go flying, with better health as well, result all round.

However, I stopped 3 years ago, with the help of Zyban, and stayed off them for two years, until a nice chap living near me took exception to me telling him to shut his dog up, and torched my motor parked outside the house. Nice guy!! At the time it was either Prozac, or Lambert & Butler, the latter won as it is slightly more socially and medically acceptable.

But one house move later and I am ready to stop again, so does anyone know if there is a problem with taking Zyban & flying. I have been all over the CAA website and can't find anything, but someone mentioned it over the weekend, so I thought I'd check.

Of course I don't want to ask the CAA direct as we all know the joke about " hello, I'm from the CAA and I'm here to help!!!"

All advice gratefully recevied.
Thanks

fintan
14th Jun 2004, 22:19
Can't confim weather it is banned or not, but i personally would not take it before or whilst flying. There are numerous side effects, From personal expierence , my skin turned a shade of red and became itchy,Dry mouth,and also diffulcty in sleeping. Depends on how the drug reacts to the each indivdual. Thankfully having only taken two of the pills i just gave up naturally.

cessna l plate
14th Jun 2004, 22:25
The only side effects last time were a slightly disturbed sleep patern, (as I DJ at weekends as well as a day job, I have a pitiful sleep patern anyway) and it made my morning coffee taste bloody awful.
Other than that, all OK

Rifty
14th Jun 2004, 23:32
The CAA won't let you fly with them. I got a prescription during a period of flying inactivity when getting my CAA medical renewed, and was told not to tell theCAA. From personal experience I couldn't anyway. They turned me into something near a cabbage. Stopped smoking when I took them, started when I finished.

Bird Strike
15th Jun 2004, 07:57
I'd say ask your AME for confirmation.

Personally, I wouldn't fly with anything similar.

At the time it was either Prozac, or Lambert & Butler, the latter won as it is slightly more socially and medically acceptable.

Ironically, Zyban is also prescribed as an anti-depressant in the US under the brand name "Wellbutrin"...

Rabid Dog
17th Jun 2004, 20:23
I'd efinitely avoid it while flying (and it's probably illegal), but would use it with caution while you're grounded.
It can have a nasty side-effect profile (just read the other posts!) amd is currently a drug of interest to the Australian regulatory authorities.
Maybe the coffin nails are the lesser of the two evils?

cessna l plate
17th Jun 2004, 20:26
Thanks for all the advice. Sadly, I ahve tried all the other things like patches will power etc. This stuff does work for me, not for everyone granted, but it does stop me smoking. I think I'll have to stick my head above the ramparts and ask the CAA. Wish me luck!!!!!!!!

Getold
18th Jun 2004, 18:15
Zyban is an anti depressant which may not be taken under any circumstances if flying. A significant enough numberr of people suffer from fits after taking this drug, with consequent loss of driving license. So, pilolts licence.................. hmmmm

Pushback
27th Jun 2004, 10:15
I tried Zyban, no side effects, but no less desire to smoke either!
The nicorette microtabs (under your tongue) work pretty well.