PDA

View Full Version : part time job in Port Macquarie

flydreamer
14th Jun 2004, 15:21
Dear all guys

I am going to undertake my training at Port Macquarie in NSW in August, I plan to find some part time job to fund my accommodation and beer fees

Does anybody familiarize the temporary job market at Port Mac? which sort of job is easier to find? and how much can we earn per hour?

Thanks a lot for your sharing and information

ovum
14th Jun 2004, 23:18
Maccas pays quite well at $4.50 an hour and they even do bulk interviews :yuk:

flydreamer
15th Jun 2004, 01:59
Thanks, Ovum

But which sort of job do u mean? and is it easy to find job at Port Mac?

Soulman
15th Jun 2004, 02:17
Flydreamer,

Suggest you try a search here (http://jobsearch.com.au/).

Good luck with it.

Soulman.

AD/DUNNY/01
15th Jun 2004, 04:10
Flydreamer, ignore ovum's remarks, do a yellowpages search for employment agencies in the area, and contact them, failing that, do a yellow pages search for businesses that you are interested in working for whilst there, and use your initiative and contact them...

ovum
15th Jun 2004, 04:35
Yes ignore those previous remarks...i was only joking

Seriously though, the best way to find a casual job is to make up a resume and walk into places to hand it in and chat with the boss/employer. There are many many places in retail that you can work. A cinema is always good...well paid and flexible hours with heaps of staff to cover shifts if you have to fly etc. Try and stay away from places with small staff numbers when you're studying...it's too hard to get a shift covered if you have an exam or flight etc.

ovum

flydreamer
15th Jun 2004, 06:12
Thanks your guys all nice suggestions.

Ovum, you mean, AUD 4.5 per hour is a joke? urm.. Coz I am not familiar with the temporary job market there, but i think of it should be not so hard to find a part time job, coz port mac is one of favourite holiday destinations in NSW, but I would like to know what is the average pay per hour for these jobs, say, working at restaurant or cinema? any ideas?

Thanks

ovum
15th Jun 2004, 11:38
yes, AUD $4.50 per hour is a definite joke even if for a 14 year old....

Don't know about a restaurant but at a cinema you wouldn't accept any less than $15 per hour if you're say 17/18 years old...cinemas usually pay quite well however. Retails anywhere from 11/12 bucks and hour up to 18/19 depending on the company

good luck mate, just do a bit of walking around a shopping centre and you'll score something

flydreamer
15th Jun 2004, 15:28
well, it sounds resonable this time. ovum, what is the job duty of working at cinema? and how long is each shift?

Thanks mate, you do give me some idea about job market there.
by the way, did you work at port mac before?

ovum
16th Jun 2004, 04:55
PM me mate this is getting a bit long and isn't aviation related at all. Cheers

McRippy
16th Jun 2004, 07:52
if no one would flip burgers for less then $15 an hour (highly technical work) then why do f*%k heads fly planes for free

ovum
16th Jun 2004, 08:59
Met a guy today who told a story of when he called up a meat bombing operation up in Qld. When he asked out of interest if and how much do they pay their pilots, the reply was....

"Well, you get about $50,000 worth of flying a year for free..."

:eek: :(

Counter-rotation
16th Jun 2004, 14:12
is because they are f*%k heads - simple :yuk:

CR...

McRippy
17th Jun 2004, 01:21
this is the bbbbiiiigggg problem, young guys are hour hungry. if everyone refused to work for not less then the award the operators would have to pay it (they all allow for it in the operating costs, so dont believe them when they say that can't afford it) but it is the little sly w*%kers who undercut each other to put the industry in the state it is.

Professional Pilot Licence (it mean you get paid)

amature work from amatures (just remember that one when you cylinder goes through your cowl)