PDA

View Full Version : the hostess with the mostest?

jerrystinger
14th Jun 2004, 14:05
So, all things aside, which airline makes a point of employing attractive crews?

For me personally, Virgin, Qantas and Alitalia rate high in the 'good to look at' areas, while Air France guys and gals dress immaculately.....and look good in their uniforms while standing together! American and United seem to employ the rudest and JAL and Singapore the most 'servile'. Charter companies seem to employ those that aren't scared of hard work and BA maybe veers the most professional (although BA crews seem to come last in the attractive and 'look good in uniform' department!).

Comments?

sinala1
14th Jun 2004, 14:14
LOVE the Emirates uniform, the girls look stunning and the guys look hot/professional! Would LOVE to wear that uniform one day (the guys one, not the girls :E ) ALso loved the new BA uniform, it looks great on the girls. Quite fond of the QF black woolen suit, very smart...

As far as Cabin Crew attitude goes, I have to say that it varies from flight to flight - I have flown internationally on 4 separate AirNZ sectors - 2 out of 4 crews were awesome, 1 was ok, 1 sucked. Have flown on 6 Emirates sectors, 4 of which in business class - 2 busines class great, 1 ok, 1 crap (very turbulent flight though, gives everyone the ****s). Economy was quite good, pleasantly surprising actually...

As far as who looks good in the uniform, well a lot of that comes down to the crew too - although admittedly some uniform pieces are just not designed for certain people to wear. Love my uniform, although occasionally wish it had a tie/jacket...

acukwik
14th Jun 2004, 15:35
Jerry S

I agree with you the UA & AA are the most rudest - well what do you expect there all old wrinkled hags (Sla**ers).

Ac

sammyhostie1
14th Jun 2004, 15:52
We at MYT (LGW anyway!) are all beeauuutiflllulllll!!!!

LOL

AJ
14th Jun 2004, 17:20
KLM cabin crew seem to look and dress imacculately...not only do they look attractive, but they look professional & respectable. I think that's a good marketing tool quite aside from making the crew feel good about their job and their employer (VERY important).

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
14th Jun 2004, 17:42
carnt beat the new bright pink first choice outfit !

acukwik
15th Jun 2004, 23:23
Sammyhostie1

Why are Flight Attendants known as "FLYING MATTRESSES" any particular reason ??

Dpes MYT have a lot of Flying Mattresses ??

Regards

AC

I am aware that South African Airways has a lot of flying mattresses on the LHR-JNB flights

AC

El Desperado
16th Jun 2004, 00:27
I think you'll find our lovely and very professional crew are working too damned hard to do anything with a mattress other than sleep on it. And I know that doesn't apply just to MYT.

When will you people realise that Channel 4 or Sky Plus 'fact investigations' of airline life are nothing more than fantasy for the sad, lonely men out there who have nothing better to do on a Friday night.

Grow up 'acuk'.

acukwik
16th Jun 2004, 00:55
El Des

Ooh Touchy are we ?

AC

skyrabbit
16th Jun 2004, 01:03
We are a small regional operator, but take great pride in our image and appearance.

Our Cabin crew are absolutely wonderful and always immaculate.

We just have one that has worked for a 'big British Airline' (guess which one) that creates a bad atmosphere wherever she goes.......thinks she is so superior....but in reality is pretty damn shabby.

Fortunately her attitude is not rubbing off on the rest.

Thanks guys and gals.....great job! :ok:

Bunny :)

qfmike737
16th Jun 2004, 04:10
Gulf Air and Emirates crew look SMART! Many say Gulf Air girls uniform looks the most glam and with the way they make them do their makeup it's very glammy.

I think the Etihad Mens uniform is great!

Singapore Girls look great when they are towing their Louis Vuitton Pegase mongroam bags.

flapsforty
16th Jun 2004, 08:07
FYI, Mr acukwik will not be joining us on this forum anymore.

bagpuss lives
19th Jun 2004, 11:36
The Monarch CC always look very nice I think ;)

There's something very smart and business-like about a nice crisp white shirt imo :)

pips
19th Jun 2004, 15:09
i work for british airways and we have alot of very attractive crew and since the new uniform people are making a real effort to try and look their best i know other airline crew think that ba are all fat scruffy and have an attitude but its not true there are more lovley crew with us than horrible evey airline has the odd few mingers but because were so large it looks like all the crew at ba are and its not true ok we dont have a fat list like charter airlines have or at least they did when i worked for one but people are always giving us a hard time i do agree that you should take pride in your appearance but some people just dont care and thats with all airlines.

ETOPS
19th Jun 2004, 15:44
Pips

Whilst I agree with the sentiments of your posting, I wonder what impression you will make in its execution.

Here - try some of these with my compliments;

.......,,,,,,,,,,''"!!!

Of course not forgetting CAPITALS.

pips
19th Jun 2004, 16:29
ETOPS do you want to explain what that post is surpose to mean if cant stand people who fanny around if you have something to say then say it please instead of trying to be clever.

flapsforty
19th Jun 2004, 17:57
Dear Pips, I think ETOPS is trying to say the following, and he/she will no doubt correct me if I mis-represent here. :)

A bulletin board like this is based on the exchange of written information, as opposed to spoken. Here you write things, and people read what you write.
When you talk, your listener will understand where a sentence stops and a new one starts by the tone of you voice, the pauses between words and such.
When reading something, there is no voice and there are no pauses. Instead, there is punctuation and the use of capital letters. A text without punctuation and capitals makes the brain of the reader 'gasp for breath'.

Reading what you write, and understandinhg what you mean, is made more difficult by the fact that you don't use punctuation.
Posts on a bulletin board are not text messages; this is a different medium. It is generally considered good Netiquette (internet etiquette) to use punctuation and capital letters. Nobody's perfect, and with all the different nationalities here, spelling and punctuation differ a lot! And that's OK; posts don't need to be perfect!!
But a bit of care in your writing does make it easier for the rest of us. :ok:

I think ETOPS was trying to say that with a joke. :)
Please don't be offended, nobody is telling you off, but since you asked, I think this is the answer. :D

Back to the subject of the thread, I'm really keen to see the new BA uniform 'live'. You guys pass through our crew centre at Schiphol so I am keeping an eye out. And just to put your mind at rest, at our airline I have never heard anyone say that they consider BA cabin crew to be 'fat scruffy and have an attitude'. You guys & girls are viewed as pleasant, professional and polite. The old uniform was no fashion statement, and we often felt a bit sorry for you having to walk around in it. But that is now remedied I understand.
(mind, our uniform is a ruddy antique and the best that can be said for the colour is 'quaint'. :suspect: )

pips
19th Jun 2004, 20:13
I was in a rush when i was posting my comments didnt realize it had to be perfectly written, and your post makes absolutely no sense to me at all would you like to try again in plain old english .

Human Factor
19th Jun 2004, 22:46
The BA mob have a very professional attitude. Like every other group of people, they come in all shapes and sizes but it's the ability to do the job that counts. The new uniform makes a huge difference though, people certainly seem to be making more of an effort to be tidy.

Just an aside, when I stopped laughing at the fact that pips is clearly in a rush every time he/she touches a computer, I started wondering how much time is saved by not hitting the full-stop key occasionally. :E :E

Honeytruck
19th Jun 2004, 22:59
hear hear pips u go 4 it sorry shouldnt use abrevvations don't let anyone tell u you what is or isnt the proper way to write but i dv8 i just wanted to say that as an xwearer of the currant ba uniform genrally the main complaint i had was that it was all sinthetic fabrix and so very uncomftable i wonder if the smarter uniforms are the ones made of natral fabrix cos maybe they do tend to look better by the way falps i wonder what a reely long rambling unpunctuated sentence would look like in Dutch which is hard to read at the best of times whether u speak it or not.. funny thought.

ETOPS
19th Jun 2004, 23:01
flapsforty

Wonderful - my thoughts perfectly transferred and with a delicate touch too. I agree with Pips though - a smilie or two would have helped:D

Pips

I'm sorry if I upset you. As I am now well into my 5th decade I am becoming more like Victor Meldrew every day. I realise that, in this day and age, nobody has time for "perfect" English but I see no harm in trying to point everyone towards readable communication. For instance:-

I was in a rush when I was posting my comments and didn't realize it had to be perfectly written Your post made absolutely no sense to me at all. Would you like to try again in plain old English .

Is how your old English teacher would hope you would have rebuked me.

This, of course, is dreadful thread creep as we started by agreeing with yor comments about our colleagues and the new uniform.

PS "flaps" I still love the way you post in colour......

ETOPS, I put 5 smilies in my post when I wrote it; what more can a body do? ;)

Ranger 1
19th Jun 2004, 23:49
My Travel Crew appear to be the smartest out of my work place at the moment,also they are amongst the few remaining airlines that meet the pax on embarkation & disembarkation at the foot of the steps, of the aircraft, good old fashion service :ok:

Dogs_ears_up
20th Jun 2004, 07:03
IMHO the new TUI Group uniform (Hapag, Britannia et al) is looking rather good at the moment. You can tell they thought about it since even the men look sharp, instead of the historically normal "Oh just give them a blue suit!" approach.

pips & Honeytruck - Punctuation is important because it allows clarity of expression. In failing to punctuate, you require the reader to attempt to make sense of your writing: This will inevitably dilute the force of your own message, since the reader is having to concentrate on how you are making your point rather than on the point you are making. In human (written) social intercourse, punctuation clarifies, and courtesy lubricates. Both are elegantly expressed by flapsforty in his/her post.

I suspect that a majority of the concepts expressed in the paragraph above may be unintelligible to the pair of you: Therefore please find below for your consideration a translation into your preferred language, which I take to be Nokia?
--------------------------------------------------------------
pips & Honeytruck pnctuatn is important bcoz it allows clarity of expressn in failing 2 pnctu8 u require the rdr 2 attmpt 2 make sense of yr writing this will inevitbly dilute the force of yr own msg since the rdr is hvg to concentr8 on how u r mkg yr point rather than on the point u r mkg in uman written social intrcrse pnctuatn clarifies & curtesy lubes bth concpts r elegntly expresd by f40 in his her post

All clear? Good! Next week "Wy spelink mattahs wen treyeing to gett a gudd jobb"
:O

whatunion
20th Jun 2004, 09:50
sorry etops but i am in small letters too! as i am from the other side of the flight deck door you could blame it on that.

i think most uk and irish airlines look smart but personally i dont mind if you wear jeans as long as you are nice, friendly and patient.

i have only working experience of one uk airline and within the company there are a mixed bunch of people, i would say that very few are capable of real service excellence, many are good within the normal operation and a few would be more suited to dealing with livestock.

those who are good within the normal operation are great as long as everything is going there own way but throw in a difficult passenger and the result can be mixed.

i often hear the conversation of the difficult passenger and i often think, yes i bet on your interview you said you liked travelling and meeting people but what you really meant was you liked travelling and only meeting people who were nice to you!

dealing with difficult people is an art but so many crew seemed to immeadiately want to put the passenger down or ensure they win the situation.

in regard to uniforms have you noticed the growing trend of both pilots and cabin crew of carrying hats, rather than wearing them which i think looks sloppy and shows a company with poor discipline.

on the whole our industry has much to commend it in regard to service standards and i for one say, cabin crew keep up the excellent work.

ps pity that most flight deck have very little understanding of SERVICE!

Airbusbellboy
20th Jun 2004, 15:34
Well I would just like to share with you that I look fabulous in my uniform :E I work for bmi and we have crew who range in ages which by the way is a good thing as our pax range in age also no? bmi has exacting uniform standards and as a result the crew look professional which by the way is what crew should be and perceived to be such i.e. safety and service professionals.

:ok: