PDA

View Full Version : Flight Instructors

Kaptain Kinkey
14th Jun 2004, 02:00
I was recently up at a flying school in Auckland, is it me or are most instructors young and arrogant little buggers these days that are straight out of six form?

Cloud Cutter
14th Jun 2004, 03:22
At that particular flying school - yes. Not a good representation of the whole industry though.

captmicka
14th Jun 2004, 04:24
i would have to agree with cloud cutter. i am a young instructor myself, but some of my colleagues r extremely arrogent. just dont cop their sh@T, and more than likely they will stuff up and let them know.

ZK Skipper
14th Jun 2004, 04:26
My Sentiments exactly Cloud Cutter "Not a good representation of the whole industry":ok:

ovum
14th Jun 2004, 06:00
As opposed to old, arrogant buggers?

I would say, as with anything, it varies from person to person and is independent of their age and the type of flying they do.:rolleyes:

Cloud Cutter
14th Jun 2004, 22:26
Those old buggers have the right to be arrogant, they've been around a while. Jumped-up little d#ckheads do not. It may vary from person to person, but the concentration definitely increases at certain larger organisations. I believe these instructors have the least right to be arrogant as many of them have no real aviation experience. There are plenty of young instructors elsewhere who are good b#stards. Congrats to any big school instructor who resists the temptation to become a f#ckwit, they are few and far between.:hmm: (of course this doesn't apply to the 'big school' down south, hmm that narrows it down);)

ovum
14th Jun 2004, 23:13
I wasn't saying that older instructors are arrogant, in fact in my experience, more experienced instructors (not necessarily older) are less arrogant...my point was that arrogance is a personal trait, not an age or flying one.

Now, let's talk about professional sportspeople...;)

Wheeler
15th Jun 2004, 19:35
Maybe that's one of the reasons why $10,000 worth of flying training walks out of the door - but when young instructors are there thinking they just have to do this s--t to get to be airline pilots, is it really surprising? And let's face it, some of the schools don't exactly train or treat them too well. Despite all of that, some are excellent instructors and treat their customers extremely well.

Cypher
17th Jun 2004, 03:22
Just look at their CFI.. what sort of example does he set? Not exactly a model role model.. pardon the pun..

Don't like their treatement of you? Go somewhere else.. droves of people have been and are doing it. It's your money and you deserve better treatement than that.

Cloud Cutter, I don't know if arrogance has it's place on the flight deck. Whether it be a C172 or a B777. Making a decision and sticking to it because you believe out of your experience it is the right one, is not arrogance. Does anyone have the right to be arrogant in aviation?

Ignoring other people's point of views on things because you think your another level above them is arrogance.. I don't think that has a place in a multi-crew environment on a flight deck, which ironically is where most of these flight instructor will want to head. I have been in one situation in an aircraft where arrogance nearly caused a fairly expensive incident.

I'll listen to my students or crew regardless of what position they hold. I'll listen to what they have to add, check it out, and then decide whether I'll act upon what they've suggested or seen, using my experience to help me.

Sure these older instructors do have a lot of value and alot to offer. I would listen to what they have to say anyday. However this in itself is not a right to be arrogant. I think one role model I have sums it up nicely. This man has been there and done it all, from RAF pilot to CEO of a regional airline flying ATRs. He is now a flight instructor, and in no way is he at all arrogant. Infact he still blows me away when he asks someone like myself (rank C-Cat) on advice on weather conditions in the area! Now that is someone I'd want to be like when I reach that level.

I not having a go at you, I'm just stating my point of view thats all. :)

Cloud Cutter
17th Jun 2004, 20:36
Point well taken Cypher, perhaps arrogance is not quite the right word - there is certainly no place for it in multi-crew ops. I'm not talking about superiority, but I think it's sometimes good to have the influence of one of those crusty old CFIs (or old pilot in the bar) who's been around, and who demands instant repect based on flying skill and instructing ability. I actualy think the school in question has one of these - shame about the people skills but two outa three ain't bad?

What we seem to agree on is that many young/inexperienced instructors these days are getting to big for their boots, without anyone there to knock them back into line - students are seen as hours and money, and marketing skill is more important than quality instructing.

richie-rich
20th Jun 2004, 06:24
during my PPL stage, my 20 year old instructor (who was 3 months older than me) turned out to be the best in the lot. he was strict but he really wanted to teach. few other instructors in lat 20s and early 30s were some good, some bad. the CFI was damn good and the 50 year old Second to CFI was another good bloke.

Depends, i guess. I can never be as good as any of them, though. :O

Richie