PDA

View Full Version : LGW - Langley Green

PretoriaSillyperson
13th Jun 2004, 19:26
Hello, CC types. I'm about to move south of Croydon and a place has come up in Creepy Crawley. I realise this may seem odd - or even perverse - but I do actually like Crawley. Thing is; the hoose is furnished, in a quiet close, near shops and schools et ceterae and "only" £700 a month. However - it's right next to the shops in Langley Green. So - is LG REALLY all that bad or is it just Daily Mail type hype?

Any real experience of LG greatly appreciated as wife and small people arrive in 3 weeks! Also, I did have a pleasant afternoon in the pub by the shops yeasterday and no one walloped me for porting the Torygraph so the natives seem friendly enough.

Thank you,

PSP
Croydon

Gainesy
14th Jun 2004, 10:44
However - it's right next to the shops in Langley Green.

PSP,
I would give it a visit in the evening as thats when the kids/yoof tend to congregate near the shops and create noise etc. It might be different to what you saw on an afternoon visit.

But Hey, you can walk to work from there and its only a five-min stagger home from the Gatbash.

Floaty
14th Jun 2004, 11:54
I agree with Gainesy, have a look at the area after dark. If you're in a close, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I live nearby, in Gossops Green and I really like the place. Okay the town is nothing special and Crew Night in Crawley is not my type of thing but this area is surrounded by fields and forest and it's really quiet. There is no pollution, you always find a parking anywhere you go, shops are open till late, the sea is 35' drive away, Horsham is a lovely town nearby with some nice pubs... It would be almost impossible finding something comparable to this around Heathrow! And summer is the right time to move here! You'll love it!

...and yessss! The Gatbash is walking distance from LG!!! :D

FJ

sammyhostie1
14th Jun 2004, 13:19
I live in creepy Crawley also, and I can tell you without any conviction that Langley Green is awful and is known locally as "Langley Desh".

Make that what you will, but the crime rate is appalling, and it is also where those men lived and were arrested there (the ones that got charged with terrorism charges)

Stay away!

Northgate is much nicer, or Ifield.

Gainesy
14th Jun 2004, 13:39
As an escapee from Crawley (ten years), can confirm most areas of Horsham are more pleasant than Langley Green; depends if you can affoird to commute (prolly 10min drive to LGW). I don't live in either BTW.

Couple of letting agents in Horsham, PM me if you want their details.

pilotwolf
14th Jun 2004, 15:43
Or check out the sticky about accomodation.. several of us in the area have rooms available!

Floaty
14th Jun 2004, 18:30
the crime rate is appalling, and it is also where those men lived and were arrested there (the ones that got charged with terrorism charges)

Hehehe... The funny thing is that nowaday living near a mosque is less dangerous than living near an American Embassy...

Yes I agree, Langley Green is not Kensington and Chelsea... but it's cheap and trust me, it's not as bad you describe. Yes there is a mixture of origins... I guess about everything from Polynesian to Aborigenal clockwise and anti-clockwise around the globe... but it's the variety that makes it interesting! ;)

FJ

Tudor
14th Jun 2004, 23:14
Sammyhostie, you may be interested to know that Northgate actually has the highest crime rate in Crawley-closely followed by Langley Green. I have (female) friends who live there and they feel quite safe walking around at night. I'm originally from West Yorkshire and would rather live in Langley Green any day than some parts of Bradford or Halifax.

Having said that you could probably find a house in a far nicer part of Crawley (Maidenbower, Pound Hill) for around the same price or it maybe worth paying that little bit more for piece of mind, especially if you have children.

Good luck!!!

Gillymac25
15th Jun 2004, 12:57
Hi There,

I would agree with the Pound Hill or Maidenbower option. I have just moved away from Crawley after 5 and a half years, and having lived in quite a few locations in Crawley, I would definitley say the Worth end of Pound Hill was the nicest and safest place that I found.

A 2 bedroom house will cost you around £700 p/mth and the bus service is very good. LGW is 5 mins by car and will cost around £5/6 in a taxi.

To be perfectly honest when I first moved to Crawley in 1999 I was warned by lots of people to avoid Langley Green, Bewbush and Broadfield. I stuck to this advice and never had a problem. I have friends who live in these areas who can't leave their first floor bedroom windows open at night!

Have a good drive round Crawley and make your own mind up.

Good Luck!

GM25.

Alberville
15th Jun 2004, 21:41
Gillymac - Are you missing us down here?
Thanks again for putting me up the other week:ok:

PretoriaSillyperson
15th Jun 2004, 22:26
Thank you very much for all the advice.

I put a deposit down this evening on a place in Ifield - just on the Horsham Council side and right next to the golf course. £650 a month, furnished and a "Brookside" type close. Fantastic stuff! Move in 3rd July. Also a nice pub up the road called The Goat. Which is nice.

Thanks again,

PSP
Croydon

SNR T/O
16th Jun 2004, 00:27
Glad too see you've moved to lovely Ifield.

You'll be safer out of Langestian/ Langleydesh

I think you'll find the pub is called THE GATE!! The Plough and Royal oak are also good pubs. Pelham Buckle can be a bit iffy but I can recommed the Curry House 'ZARI'S'.

Enjoy Crawley in General

S.T.O

Gainesy
16th Jun 2004, 08:17
Much better choice PSP. :)