PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot Recruitment

Andy_20
13th Jun 2004, 14:31
Hi, im actually serving in the RAF at the moment as an avionics technician, im looking to re-muster into an aircrew trade such as pilot or navigator! Lots of people have said different things about the possibility of being able to transfer! i was just wondering how hard it would be to apply for a pilot position, i dont have the best GCSE's in the world but hold 5 A-C mainly C's, but have gained an NVQ L3 and BTEC in Aerospace Studies Equivalent to 4 A-levels, which actually meets the RAFs criteria. Does anyone think i have much hope in achieving a pilots position!?

Andy

Grimweasel
13th Jun 2004, 14:51
NCO aircrew have the best deal. 5 GCSE a-c grade. More fun and a little less responsibility ( so I'm told ) Not a good time for Pilots and navs what with all the pointey end reductions (rumour) and the JSF is likley to be the last manned fighter. The Transport fleet on the other hand will always be manned and jobs a many one could argue. Only my perspective on things however. Others will say different. Best to get many opinions.....

airborne_artist
13th Jun 2004, 17:50
Andy_20 - Aim high - go and see your unit education officer or your unit OC and tell him/her that you want to go to OASC - nothing wrong with wanting to advance your career inside the RAF.

You'll probably find them keen to help, and can get you access to info/courses/support that an external candidate would give an arm for.

I Flew Navy, and we had a good %ge of ex ratings (NCOs) in pilot and observer roles - good for the service as it retained/re-cycled expereince and expertise.