PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) Theory Belgium

OlliBlue
13th Jun 2004, 11:08
Hi rotorheads !

I live in Belgium and would like to start learning for my PPL(H). I already arranged a training heli ( S300 ), but I still need to take my theory exam.

I have a lot of work and very unstable hours, so joining a ground school is a bit difficult.
I've found a private instructor but he charges 5500 euros ( +/- 4000 pounds ) and I feel that is a bit on the high side.
Another option is to study it myself.
I have found a couple of links to online shops selling all the gear needed, but does anyone have an idea of where I could get them in Belgium.
Another problem is that from 1/7/2004 the JAR regulations will start in Belgium. People have suggested me to start before that date, but how do I do that, how can I register myself for an exam, and take it in December ?

Any help on learning PPL theory by myself and good books / gear , please let me know.

Kind Regards,

Oliver

Aesir
13th Jun 2004, 14:51
Hi OllieBlue

I´m sorry to hear that Belgium is introducing the JAR´s. But I guess there is no way around it.

My suggestion to you is to discuss the matter with a flight school that does PPL theory and have them let you start lessons before 1-7-04, even a trial helicopter flight should be enough to prove that you have started your PPL H training.
The school can perhaps help you out with scheduling lessons due to your time restraints.

The school has then proof that you started training before introduction of JAR and you should be given resonable time to complete your training under your national regulations!

But I think that you have to take lessons with a registered flight school. Just hiring a ground instructor will not cover the reuirments of grandfather rights to flight schools to complete their training under national rules.

On the other hand if you can find a school that will continue training for the JAR PPL certificate then you should have no problems with that. In some countries the JAR PPL H is actually easier and cheaper than national standards. Its when you start training for JAR CPL (ATPL) when things get tough and expensive.

OlliBlue
13th Jun 2004, 15:32
I found some UK - sites that sell PPL(H) training kits :

http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product6630023.html

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/ppl_helicopter_study_pack_with_apm_manuals.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.809

http://www.transair.co.uk/product4.asp?SID=2&Product_ID=790

Would they be sufficient to study the theory by myself, as I understand they are JAR courses.

The JAR seems not all that much harder, just more to study. I have a meeting with that instructor on thursday, to discuss what my options are.

Is 4000 pounds to much for full private training (theory) ?
There is no limit on hours, we keep working untill I pass the exam.

Oliver

NickLappos
13th Jun 2004, 16:23
from where I sit, these numbers curl my toes! 4000GBP for the ground schoolis pretty steep! If one assumes 30 hours of classroom, that is the rate Flying Lawyer would charge to get you out of jail!

For 6000 USD in my home state, you can get a year's University training, 1/4 of the way to an Aerospace engineering degree!

For groundschool home training, We often use the sanderson or Jeppeson guides here, and a friendly instructor who might charge as little as 20USD per hour for a means to pull it together. Practive exams will tell you what you are truly short on, and you shore that up.

Those sites and packages for home school look right on, too.

Whirlygig
13th Jun 2004, 21:39
Ollie,

If your English is up to it (and from your posts it seems as if it is) then self-study from books is quite achievable. I did my PPL)H) training that way using Air Pilot Manuals - Trevor Thom and Walter Wagtendonk's Principles of Helicopter Flight. The only problem may be differences in the Aviation Law between UK and Belgium (eg classes of airspace).

The amounts you are quoting for tuition are high and the chances are that you won't need groundschool.

Nothing in the exams in difficult but there is a lot of information to learn. If you study hard, you should not have any problem.

If you want more details of books and equipment, please PM me.

Cheers

Whirlygig

OlliBlue
14th Jun 2004, 05:50
My English shouldn't be a problem, my dad was English, so I have got a slight advantage. The only problem is that the exam will be in Dutch, and the translation of some technical words is rather funny.

I'm meeting with that instructor on thursdag to discuss the price. I suggested learning it myself, but at the same time booking some time with him just to get me started. He's a very nice guy and said he'll make an exception because I'm probably the youngest student he has, thus a bit low on funds. He also said it would be a shame if I couldn't afford the lessons, because he rarely meets students with such passion for helicopters !

With the JAR comming next month, it is important that I start these lessons asap. Then I have untill 2009 to start my practical lessons, which gives me time to save up some euros.

Oliver

Heliport
14th Jun 2004, 06:12
Olli

Is this 'nice guy' instructor who said he'll make an exception for you the same instructor who charges £4000 for groundschool?
I don't doubt you're passionate about helicopters, but most students are.
Be wary of flattering sales patter. A 'special price just for you' is an old sales trick. ;)

Whirlygig
14th Jun 2004, 07:00
Ollie,

OK, if you're half-english, then English shouldn't be a problem!

In order to get in before JAR, you should start the flying training as soon as possible - you only have a couple of weeks. Get a couple of hours in your log book.

There is no requirement to have formal tuition under JAR so starting the theory or groundschool before 1st July 2004 will not make any difference. It is very hard to prove that you were studying the theory.

Like Heliport, I would urge to take this instructor's comments with a pinch of salt. Every student is enthusiastic about helicopters; I was so much so that I bored my friends to tears:) Personally, I don't know anyone who had needed groundschool tuition for PPL(H) - then again, I don't know many PPL(H)s - if you're reasonably bright, you'll pass them first time even studying from the books as long as you cover the syllabus.

Can you investigate being able to sit the exams in your mother tongue?

With regard to the training kits on the links you provided - they are OK but I would suggest getting your stuff piecemeal. Just buy a couple of books to get you going and, when you have some experience of flying, then you will be able to decide which of the items of equipment you would prefer.

Cheers

Whirlygig

... and the S300 is a great little helicopter to learn in - you'll have a ball!

OlliBlue
14th Jun 2004, 11:37
Whirlygig,

That's one of the main reasons I want to learn with this instructor, in Belgium everyone operates R22's.
I've flown the S300 myself during an introduction day, and it is soooooo cool !!
I live near to the 40th sqd base in Koksijde, and used to dream of flying a SeaKing, now I'll settle for flying a S300 !

Strange, but everyone I know that has taken groundschool in Belgium seems to fail the exam at least once or twice.They all end up taking private lessons because of the 4 fails limit of the exam.
Over here BTW it is sufficient to start theory training in order to avoid the jar. ( sources in Brussels tell me it might be December before the King singes the JAR regulations )

I went to a demonstration at a heli school over here, and I was supprised to notice that people might say they are fanatic, but can't tell the difference between a Bell 47 (I must admit a rare site over here ) and an Alouette II, which is pretty obvious I think.

The main reason that I want to learn with this guy is that I know him and the heli owner personally, only prob is that they normally work with rich people who have little time to join a school. I only just graduated, so I'm not one of them.
I'm going to suggest this guy to supply me with the goods I need, and let me study it by myself, maybe now and then he can test me on what I've learned.

Anyway guys, you've already helpt me a lot, thx !

Oliver