PDA

View Full Version : Serial to Bluetooth

Fujiflyer
13th Jun 2004, 10:42
I'm just after some fairly basic advice here. I want to use my non-Bluetooth GPS, wirelessly with a laptop / PDA.

The GPS has a RS232 compatible serial output (Rx & Tx lines used, only) which I need to source a suitable adapter for. I cannot decide on necessary hardware - it is easy to find USB type Bluetooth adapters for the PC end but not a Bluetooth / serial interface device for the device side.

Perhaps a better answer would be to use a wireless Ethernet (802.11) adapter similar to the type used to connect printers / scanners onto an Ethernet however these seem a bit expensive and I’m not sure about compatibility anyway.

Any ideas on the best solution?

Thanks,

Fuji
:confused:

Memetic
13th Jun 2004, 19:19
http://www.brainboxes.com/

Might be able to provide the basis for a solution but I think the problem that your will need to overcome will be supplying power to the transmitter as I doubt the RS-232 on the GPS si configured to supply power. This could well require hacking a serial to BT unit to add external power.

How about the fast and cowardly route. Pop the old GPS onto ebay and buy a new one :D