PDA

View Full Version : The Airline of the Pacific Islands

BiggBird
13th Jun 2004, 02:54
Does anyone have any information regarding a new start out of Brisbane. www.ecoairlines.net

gaunty
13th Jun 2004, 03:00
I don't think it is a 727 might be the Russian version and I'm fairly sure its not a converted BAC111.

Whatever it is, it's typical third world, 60's airframe with high bypass conversions for Chapter 3???.

Where's Lukey baby these days?

Buehler, anyone??

BuzzBox
13th Jun 2004, 05:56
Actually, it's a Yak-42. The first of its type flew in 1975, but because of development problems it didn't enter service until around 1980. It has a range of around 1200nm and can seat up to 120 pax in a high density config.

chimbu warrior
14th Jun 2004, 04:24
Boy that XX years of experience and XX fleet of aircraft really impressed the heck outa me.

I thought it was actually illegal to advertise or offer ticket sales if you did not hold an AOC, and more importantly, if you had not been given approval to operate international routes by the IASC.

Woomera
14th Jun 2004, 04:30
Yup. YAK 42. But interestingly, no registration???

Ramboflyer 1
14th Jun 2004, 10:04
Cant believe they let this junk fly into Australia .

What is the future of Aviation downunder..........

pug munter
15th Jun 2004, 23:58
Last time I spent any time in Central Asia, ex-Soviet aircraft like these did not have any emergency oxygen system for the passengers. I was wondering why the shelves were so thin!

Mug

compressor stall
16th Jun 2004, 01:43
On a recent trip on a Tupolev 154, it did have oxy masks.

The hostess was, however, walking down the aisle handing out sweets during the takeoff though. I got mine at Vr!

Kwaj mate
18th Jun 2004, 15:13
The numbers don't stack up.
It can operate half the routes stated in their web site, but not legally, as it would have no reserves.
They do not have traffic rights, nor look like getting them.
With a reasonable payload the aircraft would be restricted to about 800mn sectors (carrying "island reserve") and maybe 100 passengers.
With a commercial payload it could operate 750nm city pairs in the Pacific and 110 paying passengers on board.
They could oversell flights quite heavily to keep a decent load factor.
A Russian AN12 has an ACMI charge of about US$500 per block hour - 300 kts - plus allowances for 8 crew & engineers on board, with a 10t payload over 1000nm.
This baby would be in the region of about USD1750 per hour (at M0.68) therefore not all that economical and a little less payload as the AN12 over the same distance.
Wonder how many crew this one has on board each departure.
Sir Peter would be impressed.

mainwheel
18th Jun 2004, 16:41
Most of the runs sound choice destinations. Pohnpei is
an undiscovered jewel. Excellent diving and boat trips.5 Lb muddies. Crays are plentiful and cheap in TRW.

Mail is Yak42D has 56 business class seats and 8 t of non talking space.

Bovine and other products would be marketable outbound. Inbound? Frozen yellowfin on the last leg home. ??.

Is anyone else looking at doing these routes?

Would a stg3 727C compare pricewise operationally. Safety goodwill is already there. YAK?.

Karat trolly dolly's still welcome though. Although theres a certain magic with kiribas girls.

:p :ok:

Upintheair
18th Jun 2004, 20:31
This will certainly be a combi operation with only 54-56pax on board. Cargo being the main priority.

chimbu warrior
19th Jun 2004, 00:12
Hey Kwaj.......................I am a bit sceptical about your numbers there.........US$500/hour for an AN-12!....................I see that one launch out of BNE for HIR and reckon it has burnt that much in fuel by the time it gets to 10,000 feet!

She certainly darkens the sky when it departs, so I don't think it is terribly fuel-efficient.

US$500 hour won't get you a Metro with just one pilot, so I suspect your cost numbers are a bit on the light side, and your payload/range numbers a bit on the optimistic side. I don't know much about these Russian marvels, but suspect that if they produced the sort of numbers you suggest, then the skies would be full of them.

Kwaj mate
19th Jun 2004, 05:02
CB - you can get an An12 for as low as UD$400 ACMI. Air Sofia offer their's at USD750.
The problem is that you have 5 tech crew plus 4 ground crew with daily allowances, accommodation & meals. Another AUD45k per month for the hotac & USD4k/day for allowances. Not very economical.
The An12 has a 21t fuel load & burns over 3.5t in the first hour, & down to 2.2t/hr at hour 5. I understand it does operate BNE to INU direct with only 8 t payload.
I do not know much about the Yak42 or 142, or know their burn figures. It is only what I have been able research.
Russian aircraft are rugged and reliable; the VW's of the industry; make a lot of noise; leave dirty smudges over the sky; and have feral drivers that work for poor hotac facilities; vodka & scrounge as many US$'s on the side as they can.
My numbers were supposed to show poor performance and not good data. Apologies.

Sal-e
18th Jul 2004, 16:30
Freighting would be half their revenue to these isolated islands I would say. I hear Rex Banks along with Clive Abbott will be the brains behind this project.

Taildragger
18th Jul 2004, 22:30
Hey Ramboflyer1 Why is the Yak 42 quote Junk" unquote.??