PDA

View Full Version : Flight engineers.

P51 mustang
12th Jun 2004, 19:05
Nowadays you don't hear much about flight engineers. Have they been fased out with improvements in technology? If not, which models of civillian aircraft have flight engineers onboard? And how would I go about getting this sort of job?

mjv
12th Jun 2004, 22:45
it's hard to say, but most of the "older" freighters do have FE's!
747-200, some DC10's, 727's, 707's, DC-8's, An-24, 124, 224...but not many jobs around :{ !! at least not in Europe and enZeD.

try the states or go east

mjv

Engineer
13th Jun 2004, 14:24
If you are talking professional FE Still some of us going But as mjv said try the east or the states add Africa and South America to the list that covers it. Still a few companies in Europe My Travel Luft Cargo? and the new start up in Italy

mjv
14th Jun 2004, 22:06
lufti cargo? but only on 747's?

what start up? where?:{

P51 mustang
15th Jun 2004, 10:15
Thankyou all for your replies, but what kind of training/qualifications are required? I'm doing a degree in aerospace engineering at the moment, should I rather be doing a degree in aircraft engineering(JAR)? Is there any work experince available preferably in the London area? I would like as much info as possible on how to go about training and securing a job. Please..

exeng
15th Jun 2004, 22:22
B.A. used to require a background in aircraft engineering with aircraft maintenace engineers licences as a minimum. I started my F/E training with BA after obtaining a 707 airframe licence having completed three years in the hangar as an A & C Engineer.

The opportunities are quite limited now but I would imagine companies would want some solid practical experience as a Ground Engineer. This would be probably more important to them than a degree in aerospace engineering.

Have you considered training to be a Pilot? Unfortunately very little sponsership is available and you would very probably have to pay for your training, but your degree would certainly be helpful when you try and find employment.

Regards
Exeng

oligoe
19th Jun 2004, 23:59
Hello,

I have been looking a long time now how to get an FE job and i think it is almost impossible in our days to get one as a beginer.
The easyest way is to to get an FAA licence. There are two ways, either with a CPL/IR and then you take the FEX exam, or with 3 years A/C maintenance experience + an A&P + 5hours training at an FE station + the FEX exam. Then you need a type rating.
To get a Jaa flight eng licence you now basicly need both a JAR66 licence + all 14 ATPL modules.
I hold myself a JAR66 B1B2 +PPL and was once motivated to take the FEX exam(with is very easy) but when you look even on this forum you will find out that there are already many unemployed experienced FEs around and all the offered jobs are for experienced people only.
I hope this helped, good luck anyway,
Oligoe