PDA

View Full Version : Mass and balance exam Q.

PicMas
12th Jun 2004, 14:38
Does the ATPL exam subject M & B also contain questions in performance ie. rwy length required available etc. or is it "only" the mass and balance items?

Reason I ask: The OAT book on mass and balance also covers performance, and I would hate a grim surprise when doing the exam.

Mass Times Velocity
12th Jun 2004, 16:48
Bristol notes don't cover performance in M&B but you could expect questions like what effect a far forward CofG has on take off (ie too nose heavy, difficult to rotate so longer take off run needed). I never came across any clearing a 50ft obstacle etc question. Know your BEM, DOM etc definitions (they're not all covered in the CAP manual). Almost guaranteed a question on KG/Newton floor loading stuff (1kg = 9.81 Newtons) and a fuel weight (s.g.) question. The nasty surprise you may get would be in the form of an illegible annex or two with the exam paper but most of the annexes are in the CAP anyway. Not a hard exam but good luck with it anyway,
MTV

PicMas
12th Jun 2004, 18:49
MxV

Thanks for the detailed description, much appreciated!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
13th Jun 2004, 11:54
PicMacs,

The OATS notes just include M and B in the Performance binder, they are separate. In the M and B exam you will only be examined on the material in the M and B section.

With the exam itself, as M x V said make sure you know all the definitions. Also make sure you are comfortable with all the calculations, when I sat this exam there were quite a few of them so be prepared.

Good Luck

Jinkster
13th Jun 2004, 19:39
Just to add to CAT3C...

Be aware that there are very few questions in the exam which means attaining 75% is more difficult if you get the high markers which sometimes seem to hide at the end wrong!

Good luck and I am glad I passed that subject.

Jinkster

Alex Whittingham
14th Jun 2004, 15:19
There are a few questions which just edge on being performance questions. Stuff like:

Q1. An aeroplane, which is scheduled to fly an oceanic sector, is due to depart from a high altitude airport in the tropics at 1400 local time. The airport has an exceptionally long runway. Which of the following is most likely to be the limiting factor(s) in determining the take off mass.

(A) altitude and temperature of the departure airport *
(B) en-route obstacle clearance requirements
(C) maximum zero fuel mass
(D) maximum certified take off mass

Q2. Prior to departure an aeroplane is loaded with 16500 litres of fuel at a fuel density of 780 kg/m3. This is entered into the load sheet at 16500 kg and calculations are carried out accordingly. As a result of this error, the aeroplane is:

(A) heavier than anticipated and the calculated safety speeds will be too low
(B) heavier than anticipated and the minimum V1 speed will be too low
(C) lighter than anticipated and the calculated V2 speed will be too low
(D) lighter than anticipated and the calculated minimum V1 speed will be too high.*

Q3. A flight benefits from an unforecast tail wind and arrives considerably earlier than planned. If the fuel consumption during the flight remains as planned and, on arrival, a straight in approach and clearance for immediate landing is given, the landing mass will probably be higher than planned.

(A) and the approach path will be steeper
(B) and the approach path will be steeper and threshold speed higher
(C) and a longer landing distance required *
(D) but the landing distance will be unaffected

Q4. At maximum certified TOM an aeroplane departs from an airfield which is not limiting for either take off or landing masses. During initial climb, one engine suffers a contained disintegration. An emergency is declared and the aeroplane returns to departure airfield for an immediate landing. The most likely result of this action will be.

(A) a high threshold speed and a shorter stop distance
(B) a short landing as a result of the increased angle of approach necessary at very high aeroplane mass
(C) a high threshold speed and possible undercarriage or other structural failure *
(D) a landing further along the runway than normal

Q5. An additional baggage container is loaded into the aft cargo compartment but is not entered into the load and trim sheet. The aeroplane will be heavier than expected and calculated take-off safety speeds .

(A) will not be achieved.
(B) will be greater than required.
(C) will give reduced safety margins. *
(D) are unaffected but V1 will be increased.