PDA

View Full Version : Snobby MAM day

corporatechick
12th Jun 2004, 06:43
Hey everyone, well ive just returned from my MAM assessment day and what can i say.... Hope i won't offend anyone I know all Qantas wannabees arn't like this. As I walked in to the waiting room i felt like i was in the cosmetic department in Myer. Lots of 40 yr olds acting very stuck up and wouldn't have the time of day for any young enthusiasts like me! This 19 year old and myself 20 were far the youngest there and looked and felt like outcasts.
Is that what Qantas is looking for a much older selection? Or maybe it was just my group. As we sat down we had to do the usual thing and introduce ourselves I was going to be the last one but to late they decided they had no time for me.. This really disappointed me .

Then it was stuck in to the group activities which seemed logical, unfortunatley some of the people in my group thought they had all the answers and wouldn't let anyone else have a chance to speak or have an opinion which was a shame... but the assesses can see right thru that. The day seemed to move on forever lots of group discussions. To be honest i felt like i was in an environment with lots of snobby, fake and unwelcome people.
I was so glad to get home. I am 20yrs and work for two corporate charter companies as a senior flight attendant. I have attended a couple of cabin crew interviews for airlines , and thought Mam was the most unpleasant one. Maybe i should apply in 20yrs time. I don't mean to sound bitter but just wanted to express my opinion :ok:
I would love to hear from anyone else who attended ?

cheers

shardae

Sky_hi!
12th Jun 2004, 07:02
Sorry to hear your experience with MAM was disappointing. Hopefully the BNE assessment days will be much more pleasant as i have an interview with them next Sat. Fingers crossed :D

OZcabincrew
12th Jun 2004, 08:36
Hi Shardae!!!

i know exactly what you mean. I am a casual for QF based in Perth and when i attended the QF group interviews coming up two years ago, the same people must have been there, except there were still a few younger ones there, when i went i was twenty also. I walked in with the attitude, bugger it i'm just going to walk in and talk to anyone and everyone, the first girl i sat down next to, i said "hi, how are you, is this your first airline interview???? She promptly replied, "This is actually my 5th QF interview" and then she turned her back to me and started talking to her friend! Just by that, it was quite easy to see why she didn't get in the other for attempts! Everyone else was generally nice, there were quite a few "older" ones. No offence to ex-Ansett crew, but there were a lot of them and they all grouped together with their noses up in the air and spoke to no-one else but each other (there were a lot of non-Ansett crew with their noses up in the air too!, i found it satisfying to walk and stand in the middle of their group and to just start talking to all of them! They were all generally nice though. I'm sure every table had a person that volunteered to be the boss and delegate work and give no-one else a chance, but like you said, the staff member on the table would've seen this.

I would'nt worry about it too much, as long as you participated and let other people have their say, you'll be fine. The facilitators aren't stupid and will be able to pick out the good from the bad.

Have fun and good luck, please don't let this dampen your future experiences, just try again and again!

OZ

nickmelb
12th Jun 2004, 09:05
hey corporatechick

check ya pm's