PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Notebook - Melbourne?

Stage Two Testing
12th Jun 2004, 03:38
I am looking to buy a notebook I live in Melb. I wanted to use it for a variety of tasks general business, flight planning , some graphics, and also to run some engineering software on.

Anyone know any good ware houses . Most of the large chains Dick Smiths , Office Works etc don't seem to have much of a range. I'm tending towards HP , Compaq or Dell. Are there any large computer type warehouses around. Does anyone have any experience with the large mailorder outfits that advertise on the aussie ebay site(laptop.com.au;entique.com.au). Are they good outfits to deal with?

TIMMEEEE
12th Jun 2004, 06:49
I recently purchased a notebook, model Sony PCG R505MNP.
Light,portable and fitted for centrino technology.

RRP through Harvey Nornan,Dick Smith etc etc was $3999.
I did a search on the net and found a company known as Wizard Machine Computers in Surry Hills Sydney (Ph: 02 96576033) that did it for $3200.
Brand new, in box and full warranty.They purchase excess stock and on-sell for a very competitive price.

Do a search on E-bay for the computer model as these guys dont advertise but I found them on E-Bay itself.
They can Courier the computer throughout the country I believe, or in my case I rang them, confirmed the item was in stock and picked it up myself.

Saved me $800 and well worth it.

Sector3
12th Jun 2004, 10:06
Dell Australia (http://dgmaustralia.com/m/dellAU/t.asp?A=14906&I=6372) offer a great range of notebooks!

As a user of an Inspiron 8500 with a widescreen display, I can highly recommend their notebooks and after-sales service.

If you can budget for it, include Dell's Complete Cover Guard service. It covers repair and replacement service for accidental damage and the replacement of your notebook when stolen from the office, home or a locked vehicle.

There are many other brands on the market as well, so shop around.

Ash767
12th Jun 2004, 14:33
Stage Two testing

I concur with sector 3. Have a close look at Dell, I have a Toshiba laptop a great machine but you can get a whiz bang laptop from Dell for around say $1000 less than Toshiba's etc. When it is time for me to upgrade I will go straight to Dell due to the cost saving.

Boomerang
14th Jun 2004, 08:51
I too will be upgrading to Dell. I currently have a Gateway laptop which has been great. However, I recently had to send it away for troubleshooting (wouldn't recognize CD ROM or HDD due to humidity), the tech guys (Hipoint) couldn't fault it on reciept but managed to break it themselves. It took 5!!! months to get the replacement part (battery cover).

DirectAnywhere
14th Jun 2004, 10:21
I love DELL!!!

Missus is an IT professional and won't touch anything else. She persuaded me to buy a DELL laptop a coupla years ago. Got the 3 year warranty when I purchased (200 odd bucks) and had somebody come out to me, next day with a new keyboard for a sticky key. No probs, no qns asked and no additonal cost.

Only problem is dealing with the Malaysian customer service centre with any enquiries. But their PCs are tops.

mainwheel
14th Jun 2004, 16:13
It now has a different name, used to be Dept of consumer affairs. A good friend worked there and stated that H-N computers are on the top of the list for complaints. No brand was mentioned, just the retailer.

Try "Axon", the main office is in that cold part of auz. Ex airline guy runs it so will have some appreciation of what you want.

turbinejunkie
15th Jun 2004, 12:33
Quote:

-----------------------------------------------------
...Most of the large chains Dick Smiths......
-----------------------------------------------------

I know he doesn't own it anymore, but with a name like Dick Smith electronics, why bother?:p

That goes for Dick Smith peanut (since he has well and truly proven to be one) butter etc. also!:8

TJ:ugh:

p.s.

Dick, just stick to what you do best - flogging all sorts of rubbish to a deluded public and leave aviation regulation to professionals who are far more suited to the job than you'll ever be (even your most exciting amateur US Airspace wet dream).:suspect:

Ang737
15th Jun 2004, 23:34
If your in Melb check out http://www.notebooksrus.com.au/

compressor stall
16th Jun 2004, 00:43
The Green Guide published in the Age on a thursday is the place to look for computer stuff.

Once you have decided what you want, look thru it for the best price and ring around.

Also FWIW, I have a four year old Toshiba Sat Pro laptop. Done me very well, and it's been dragged to just about every remote community in the top end, in the back of freight aircraft and three wet seasons without a hiccup.