PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer problems

You splitter
11th Jun 2004, 16:45
Just bought myself a new PC. All singing and all dancing but with one small problem.

The first thing I did was to set my virus software & firewall protection. Part of this process invovled performing a complete scan which revealed a sasser worm on the sys32 file. Norton was trying to deny access to this file and could not repair the file or quarentine it.

My guess was that I would need to update the virus database. I connected to the internet using Explorer and my home page came up fine. I downloaded latest database. Sure enough this cured the problem, the Norton pop up dissapeared and the file was repaired.

However ever since then I can not get any web page to come up on Explorer. I just get the standard 'Not found' page. I have checked my settings which is set to 128 bit security. There is a connection to the internet. The modem is showing me the transfer rate and I can download things like the virus database.

Probably very simple but I cant seem to find it.

Any ideas?

HelenD
11th Jun 2004, 17:34
You may want to check that the connection settings does not have the use a proxy server box checked. i found a computer that could not access any web pages that had this box checked, as soon as I unchecked it normal surfing resumed. Would love to know how it managed to get checked though.

You splitter
12th Jun 2004, 19:36
Thanks.

Not sure exactly what I've done but i seem to have 'un-done' it now!

Computers don't you just luv 'em..........:{