PDA

View Full Version : Virgin in blue over credit fee

Wirraway
11th Jun 2004, 16:17
Sat "Weekend Australian"

Virgin in blue over credit fee
By Steve Creedy
June 12, 2004

VIRGIN Blue, which last year attacked Qantas for penalising customers with a credit card surcharge, will from midnight Monday slug passengers an extra $2 to pay by credit card.

The decision is a reversal for Virgin, which paints itself as a consumer champion and last year vowed not to introduce credit card fees.

Virgin spokesman David Huttner described a Qantas decision to charge a 1 per cent levy on credit card transactions last July as "unfair" following Reserve Bank reforms allowing merchants to pass on the costs of credit card purchases.

"Just because you have the right to take advantage of the consumer doesn't mean you should do it," he said last year.

Yesterday, Mr Huttner claimed public acceptance of credit card fees charged by Qantas and Jetstar had made the decision inevitable.

He said Virgin would have been happy to stay with the old system but could not leave itself at a competitive disadvantage and was simply being realistic by introducing the fee.

"We definitely did take a stance against this and we thought the public would be more concerned about it than they've proven to be," Mr Huttner said. "In light of that development, we couldn't leave ourselves permanently at a disadvantage to our competitors.

"We've always done what it takes to remain competitive and to be competitive but you can't then say that every time we do a transaction ... that we're getting $2 less than Qantas."

The new fees will apply to all internet bookings and follow a $6-per-sector passenger fuel surcharge Virgin introduced last month.

Mr Huttner said Virgin was not planning to follow Jetstar's lead of introducing a direct debit option.

He said passengers could avoid the credit card charge by paying cash at the airport or at travel agents.

The airlines and Telstra, which applies up to 1.69 per cent credit card surcharge, are so far the highest-profile companies to take advantage of the Reserve Bank's reform of credit card interchange fees.

The RBA ruled that the interchange fees between banks were artificially high and were acting as a subsidy for benefits such as frequent-flyer plans.

New rules introduced last year meant merchants could pass on the fees and led to a shakeup in credit card rewards and conditions.

About 1.8 million Commonwealth Bank customers will be affected by the changes this month.

==========================================

TIMMEEEE
12th Jun 2004, 06:30
As usual Steve Creedy has proven his ability to sensationalise needlessly with "catchy" and misleading headlines.

So whats it going to be Steve?
Interview a member of the public with cigarette in mouth, beer in hand that suddenly whinges he cant afford a SY-MEL-SY flight because of the extra $2??
Yeah...right Steve!!

I agree Huttner is getting almost as bad as Godfrey, particularly when he criticised Qantas last year as being "unfair" for doing the same.
So the guy is a whinger and a hypocrite, but at the end of the day VB also has a business to run and is responsible to their shareholders as well as staff and the general public.

With that sort of sensationalistic journalism perhaps Steve Creedy would be at home working for "news of the world" thinking up headlines such as "I gave birth to alien love child" or "boy trapped in fridge eats own foot".

Where does it end?
Ever think that the public doesnt want to be insulted by these ridiculous headlines Steve but would rather have a more professional and less misleading banner??

scud_runner
12th Jun 2004, 08:14
Just out of interest why doesn't the QF media machine make some milage out of this stuff. We are always hearing from Virgin how good they or winging about Qantas etc etc why doesn't QF get some milage out of large gaffs such as this one. Espescially given the way Virgin carried on about QF charging for Credit Cards. Anyone in know??

On The Horizon
14th Jun 2004, 09:29
Its interesting to note that Virgin spin doctors has not informed the ASX via a announcement that its introducing a credit card surcharge, But back in Feb 2003 Qantas saw fit to inform the ASX about its credit card surcharge.

On another note, I agree the virgin surcharge won't affect travel numbers on Virgin, But I won't be travelling with them, After looking at both Jetstar, Virgin & Qantas for a trip to see family in Melbourne, Ex Newcastle departing 14th Return 21st Sept.

Jetstar came in at $75 to & $85 return
Virgin came in at $$75 to & $115 return
Qantas came in at $158 to & $156 return

To get Virgin for the same price at Jetstar I had to move my return date From 21st Sept to 12th Oct.

and whats Virgins motto again ?? Keeping the air .....

Hmmm.... Jetstar has my bum on seat vote

Adamastor
14th Jun 2004, 09:55
Hmmmm, only an extra $30 to go to Tulla instead of Avalon?! Virgin for me!!! (this has been an unfunded advertisement:} )

On The Horizon
14th Jun 2004, 10:09
Adamastor maybe you should actually look at the website:rolleyes: Newcastle flights land at Tullamarine

Zed
14th Jun 2004, 12:34
Adamastor.

DOH!!!!!!!!

Keg
14th Jun 2004, 13:16
LOL. Isn't there a saying about a fool and his money being easily parted? :E

(Not calling you a fool adam but you would be if you actually made that call. Of course, it could be just poor marketing from J*!) :}

Adamastor
20th Jun 2004, 07:19
Typical of many of the absolute tw@ts who frequent this site and increase their mental c0ck sizes by jumping in and criticising anyone who expresses an opinion, I note that On The Horizon, Zed and Keg have all been quick to place both feet in their mouths.

My comment was Virgin for me!!!No mention of On The Horizon's post (which I imagine is what Tweedledee, Tweedledum and Tweedledumber were having a go at me for), but since he was advertising Jetstar with his final comment I thought I would be permitted the same latitude. As I live in Sydney and JETSTAR FLY FROM SYDNEY TO AVALON, NOT TULLA, I reiterate that I would prefer to spend the extra $30 and fly with Virgin! Now is that okay with you pinheads, or should I be consulting you about all my other personal choices as well? Beer time now. Pretty please with sugar on top, oh learned ones, can I have a Boags or would you all prefer I had Coopers? Sheesh!!!:yuk:

Keg
21st Jun 2004, 02:29
Either way adam, you need to relax a bit. Perhaps that beer will serve you well. In the context of the discussion and comments, the above were all 'fair game'. :E

Zed
21st Jun 2004, 03:41
Chill out Dude.

And again DOH!!!

Capt Basil Brush
21st Jun 2004, 11:57
Horizon, have you considered the Virgin return fare is probably higher due to all the cheap seats being already sold? This is most likely the reason.

You are lucky the J* flight is still lightly loaded. I am sure they dont sell every seat at the same price.