PDA

View Full Version : Luggage advice

ozskipper
11th Jun 2004, 10:43
Can anyone recommend luggage for long haul work?

I was thinking Samsonite Cruisair, but have no idea what size to buy or whether this range is any good?

I'm leaning towards a cabin bag (hard side) and probably a larger suitcase (also hardside)... But I'm not sure how many litres I'll need for the suitcase (sounds silly but thats how its measured!)

Any thoughts?

Mr Seatback 2
11th Jun 2004, 15:38
Ozskipper - my dear - you're shopping for luggage! How exciting!

BC is right with the Oyster...have one myself and it's done so many good trips for me on staff travel (sadly, not in a professional Long Haul capacity!)

Don't buy any cabin bags, as these will be supplied to you by QF. If memory serves, the only luggage you're allowed to bring along is that which QF supplies to you.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Are you excited now...if so, wait till the day before training!

TightSlot
11th Jun 2004, 16:10
Whatever you go for in luggage, make sure it is a hard case, and not soft. On the ground, you'll spend more time than you can imagine hanging around waiting - and you can't sit on a soft case!
;)

ozskipper
12th Jun 2004, 04:07
LOL - well I'm not known for sitting on my hands Mr Seatback 2 - pretty much went out straight away to browse....

Will definately go for hardsided!

Thanks!

qfmike737
12th Jun 2004, 09:01
Louis Vuitton Damier pattern! or just the pure black leather LVs!! *DROOLS* they smell soooo Noice!

ozskipper
13th Jun 2004, 01:35
Now Mikey if I find you nuzzling my luggage I'm going to slap you....;)

qfmike737
14th Jun 2004, 12:12
Ozskipper I might be able to get you some Authentic Louis Vuitton luggage etc. My mum is going to retail LV stuff via mail order. It should be heavily discounted. I was just looking at the luggage in the wholesale book and appeared to have exclusive LV Singapore Airlines crew cases???

witchdoctor
14th Jun 2004, 17:54
Given how it is likely to be handled once it's out of your paws, go for something cheap and cheerful which you won't have to spend a fortune on replacing.

Plenty of perfectly decent hardside cases available for less than £30 sterling.

flapsforty
14th Jun 2004, 20:44
Pleased with our Samsonite Oysters (http://www.samsonite.com/gb/en/local_product_display.jsp;jsessionid=AYYXBPDJDUWGWG0LAYZ4FGQ ?product=30B*168). Hard wearing (is that an expression in English?) have to change the odd wheel but that's about it. Read today that we are testing new suitcases. Delsey among them.
It maybe sounds a bit strange, but TightSlot's comment was echoed by the test-panel! Having something to sit on while waiting waiting waiting is a pretty important criterion.
(Apart from having the ability to transport entire sets of china, power tools, new curtains, wedding dresses, African statues, scuba diving equipment and god knows what else unscathed from one corner of the globe to another. ;) )

PS: Not sure I agree with the "go for the cheapo" option; our suitcases have to be pretty tough to handle their 'daily lives'....... And a broken suitcase down-route can be a major disaster.

ozskipper
15th Jun 2004, 12:36
Well I ended up with a Samsonite Cruisair (hardside & upright) courtesy of a very generous sale and the current work colleagues kicking in some dollars to get rid of me!

Thanks for all the advice!

zed3
15th Jun 2004, 17:19
A little piece of advice , do not buy cheap suitcases with a long pin instead of two solid hinges ( my wife's Delsey had a pin ) it can be pushed out and the case opened . Discovered this at Schiphol at the baggage belt and aroud 50 cms of pin sticking out , we had just returned from Curacao and I was worried .

cloud nine
16th Jun 2004, 08:24
I thought that QF would supply all your luggage. I fly with Qlink and we have day bag and an overnight wheely bag supplied.

Is it different with LH?

ozskipper
16th Jun 2004, 12:26
Hmm, the advice I was given is that QF supply for your cabin bag and day pack (whatever that is) but not your suitcase...

In any event, I paid very little after the collection tin was passed around at work and what with depreciation I'll make my money back after tax time anyway!