PDA

View Full Version : The Great Multi Engine Scam

Capt. Manuvar
11th Jun 2004, 10:16
I was reading LASORS yesterday when i discovered something that a lot of wannabees are not aware of. Most UK flight schools require students to have or do a MEPR course before undertaking an MEIR course (I've just checked the websites of most of the popular schools). But according to Lasors, the prerequisites for the MEIR are
1. PPL and Night rating
2. 50 hrs Cross country PIC
3. IR/ATPL Theory
The only time a Multi rating is required is when converting from SEIR to MEIR. The only requirement for the MEIR is that 15hrs of training must be done in an multi engine aircraft.
If this is true, then the students could save up to £3000 on their training.
If I'm wrong I apoligise but if i'm right i say off with their heads, the lot of them.
Capt.M (£3k richer)

Stoney X
11th Jun 2004, 11:00
Would learning how to handle asymetrical thrust whilst not being able to look out the window be a wise idea? I certainly don't think so. Why don't you ask the schools why the two can't be combined. I bet the answer would be that students without an ME invariably end up having to do extra hours on the ME aircraft during IR training to get up to standard. 15 hours worth? Maybe not but any extra hours will unexpectedly eating into your, now unbudgetted, £3000.

Regards
Stoney X

LFS
11th Jun 2004, 11:04
I know from experience with the CAA that the MEP Rating is a requirement for the M/E IR course although I cannot find the specific regulation at the moment. I believe it is a requirement before you start the course so that you can learn on a M/E aeroplane (satisfying the 15 hour M/E minimum). The MEP rating should certainly not cost an extra £3000, more in the region of £1800 - £2000, or less if you combine it with your CPL course.

High Wing Drifter
11th Jun 2004, 11:31
I am pretty sure that it would be cheaper (and easier) to the Multi and then MEIR rather than SEIR and then Multi and then MEIR.

However, combining the Multi with the CPL. I still can't decide if I should take this route...

Capt. Manuvar
11th Jun 2004, 11:57
There are lots of schools on the continent that combine the two ratings and still have good pass rates.
HWD
I too am really eyeing the Multi CPL

BillieBob
12th Jun 2004, 10:35
It is not a JAA requirement to hold a MEP Class Rating prior to commencing the IR course. However, it has long been the poilicy of the UK CAA that all training for the MEP is completed prior to the commencement if any IR training. This policy has now been adopted by the JAA and is included in NPA-FCL 1-19, published last week. Once this NPA is adopted, all schools will be required to do it that way.

Wee Weasley Welshman
12th Jun 2004, 14:11
It can be well worthwhile combining the complex aircraft requirements into using a twin to complete the CPL. You end up with slightly more twin hours, and more importantly, you have more time on the type of aircraft that you are going to take your IRT in.

Its all rather fine pencil stuff but if the option is there to go twin early on the CPL module AND the school isn't asking silly money hourly rates then it can be beneficial.

Cheers

Send Clowns
12th Jun 2004, 20:38
If you do some of the MEP-rating training on a simulator it can be half that price, Manuvar! Sims are great for emergency training, and since in normal operation a twin is not a challenge for any competent pilot the MEP course is, in effect, a combination of type training and intensive emergency training.