PDA

View Full Version : Question on PPL

VH-UFO
11th Jun 2004, 10:02
Just a quick question on PPL valididity.

I gained a PPL in 1993 but havent flown since 1994.

If i wanted to fly again, do i have to go thru the whole process of gaining my PPL again?

I went to a flying school in Adelaide in 1997 and they advised me that all i would need to do is go for a check ride etc etc.

Is this still the case?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

ovum
11th Jun 2004, 10:41
Well first of all you'll need to complete a BFR. If you haven't flown since 1994 then you'll probably require a nav or two after doing some general flying to get you back up to speed on things.

In short, no you don't need to re-do your PPL because you always have the hours in your logbook.

Just go speak to an instructor at a flying school near you and they'll tell you exactly what they require...it'll probably vary slightly school to school before they'll sign you off again.

ovum

On Track
15th Jun 2004, 01:13
Your PPL is permanently valid.

You only have to worry about meeting the BFR and Class 2 medical requirements.

Icarus2001
15th Jun 2004, 02:48
VH-UFO assuming that you have let your medical lapse the first thing you need to do is make an appointment with a local DAME to get that back.

You will be required to underatke an Aeroplane Flight Review AFR in accordance with CAR 5.81. By the way the CAR, CAOs, AIP and ERSA are all available on line these days at www.casa.gov.au or at www.airservicesaustralia.com

To prepare for the AFR you will need to do whatever flying is required to bring you up to the standard of a PPL holder. Something similar to the standard you were at when you passed the PPL flight test. Probably not as high and certainly no where near as much flying. Just a brush up on Nav technique and more importantly aircraft handling.