PDA

View Full Version : Winair

Prey
11th Jun 2004, 06:49
Hi all,

I'm told by a colleague that there are pilot positions open at a company called Winair down there in the Caribbean. As I'm looking to change jobs right now and people in this forum seem to know the area, does anyone know what working conditions are like with this company in particular? After reading the comment on BonAirExcel I'm a little sceptical about the region in general. Any thoughts from anyone who knows of the company or has worked there?

Thanking you

mercuray
11th Jun 2004, 08:36
Hello again,Prey

Apparently they operate Twin Otters & Islanders. St.Marteen base,I believe.

Captain Stable
11th Jun 2004, 08:41
WinAir are based in S Maarten - use BN2's and DHC-6's. Routes to Anguilla, Antigua, Nevis, Saba, St. Baarts, Statia, St. Kitts & Tortola, though some of these may be operated by others on behalf (codeshare).

I've not heard anything bad about them and they seem to be well-respected in the area. Pay probably standard for the region - not a lot. S Maarten is not cheap to live on compared to most.

Having said that, the flying will be fun & challenging (especially Saba & Statia), navigation dead simple. Both types operated are hardy, rugged & forgiving - they need to be!

Panama Jack
11th Jun 2004, 10:12
The bed thing that I have heard about Winair is that they have recently ventured into the "time-builder's market," where a low time pilot can hand over multiples of thousands of dollars in exchange for flying the right seat. Keep in mind that in most countries the Twin Otter is type certificated as a single pilot airplane. Otherwise, Twin Otter qualifications are required.

Prey
11th Jun 2004, 10:49
Thanks for the replies so far,

So are you saying Panama jack that you don't require a Twin Otter Endorsement to fly for these people, or that they do the endorsement on the job in exchange for non-payment or deferred payment? Sounds like it would be best for one to obtain the endorsement before applying if this is the case!

Panama Jack
11th Jun 2004, 16:21
I am uncertain, you might be able to research it on internet sites like this one or others.

In any case, I find it to be an unsavory aspect of this airline (especially the time-building scheme).

Standing by.....
11th Jun 2004, 19:40
Winair wants pilots with DHC-6 time under their belt. They used to do the rating/endorsement themselves but due to high work load and the costs of all this they do not do that anymore.

Bare in mind that the company is as good as bankrupt….. the future will tell what is going to happen with them.

xdc9er
11th Jun 2004, 22:58
Hello All,
Almost all of the previous new hire F/O's have had the Flight Safety DHC6 Endorsement , exceptions were for Dutch Nationals .Winair has had a traditionally high turnover rate when the industry has a hiring spike, and there seems to be indications of one presently.Upgrades and Cross(Down)Grades ( you know what I mean for those in the know!)F/O DH6>CptBN2 are presently taking place.
Winair is currently under Moratorium(Chapt 11 US equiv), Court Date in Aug. to review the business plan and see if it is viable to continue ops.
IMHO (I have been around these parts for 10 years)I do not see Winair closing its doors anytime soon,my 2 cts.
:}