PDA

View Full Version : It's true! Branson is off the planet!

Buster Hyman
11th Jun 2004, 06:19
Branson aims for the stars
13:41 AEST Fri Jun 11 2004

Virgin tycoon Sir Richard Branson is hoping to offer adventurous tourists the chance to take a flight into space, it was reported.

Sir Richard said he wanted to bring "space tourism" to the masses by pricing the flights at affordable levels.

He told the Guardian Unlimited website that Virgin was now investing money in the futuristic science-fiction style project.

"All will be revealed over the next two or three weeks but, in a general sense, space is the ultimate frontier - and something we at Virgin have dearly wanted to do is to bring space tourism one day to the masses," he said.

The entrepreneur, famed for his love of daredevil world record attempts, said he hoped to be aboard the first tourist flight into space.

Sir Richard's official announcement of his space flight aspirations could coincide with the test flight on June 21 of SpaceShipOne.

The pioneering rocket-propelled space vehicle will be released from a carrier craft at an altitude of 15,000m and will fire its rockets to climb to a height of 100km before falling back into the atmosphere and back to Earth.

Sir Richard refused to reveal whether his space tourism plan would involve SpaceShipOne.

Two mega-rich businessmen have already become space tourists after paying a fee of around $US20 million ($A28 million) for the privilege.

American businessman Dennis Tito became the first in 2001, followed by South African Mark Shuttleworth, 12 months later.

İAAP 2004

11th Jun 2004, 23:38
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths Richard Branson will go to in order to grandstand.

Anything to do with high altitude flight, let alone venturing into the upper edge of the atmosphere/space is fraught with danger and should be respected accordingly.

It makes me wonder what would happen to the Virgin empire if Richard Branson were to be lost in some accident or what would happen to the innovative Rutan brothers once lawyers run them through the ringer over a loss.
Only the very wealthy can afford it and yes, it will be big fat and very expensive New York lawyers at twenty paces in case of a mishap.

Next in line would be the FAA who would have to regulate this supposed enterprise and so it goes on.

Interesting to see if Sir Dick is prepared to put a Virgin logo on the side???

Good luck to the Rutans, but I'd hate to see it exploited for the sake of brand marketing.

frangatang
13th Jun 2004, 17:06
Has Branson indicated he is the backup commander for the
inaugural launch,bloody well hope so then we can all get some
peace and quiet as he orbits pluto forever.

Boney
16th Jun 2004, 00:33
What a tosser!

We are still all waiting for the Virgin fleet of Concordes to start. This guy will do absolutely anything to get in the papers, thank God he is not an Aussie, as it would be embarassing.

Mr.Buzzy
16th Jun 2004, 06:32
Hey Boner!
Call him whatever you like; Im sure it will worry him deeply!

Now lets look at who is the successful businessman and who is the snivling sydney college wannabe shall we?

Perhaps we could read YOUR book on your successes?

What is that classic Aussie syndrome?..... Something about poppies or something?

Grow up!

Boney
16th Jun 2004, 06:55
"snivling college wanna be"?

Sorry to get you so upset man. I have nothing against the man, in fact, what he has personally achieved in one life time is amazing and honestly - well done.

Maybe my post should have gone this way ...

The general public are morons, and a smart businessman like Branson knows this. He knows that the average punter in the street believes this marketing angle.

It just gives me giggle, more at the brain dead public that will believe just about anything, if you just tell them enough times.

Just look at the Weapons of Mass Destraction lies. (Do you reckon if Bush told Americans tomorrow that the sky is actually orange, I wonder how many would believe him?)

But, at the end of the day, it is the zombie masses that keep this industry alive, and it does not really matter if you tell the public at the end of this year you plan to send Concordes on joy flights to the moon, because the public will forget by next week.

Point is, you got the brand name out in the greater media, much cheaper to crap on rather than pay disgusting amounts on advertising.

Smart man - just gives me a giggle, that's all.

(Big) Boner

Buster Hyman
16th Jun 2004, 07:06
Boney...It's just on sunset here & the sky is actually orange!:}