PDA

View Full Version : Airband Scanners/Receivers

Rollingthunder
11th Jun 2004, 04:37
Bought one in London a couple of weeks ago (STEC MR-318A).
It's crap. Didn't pick-up anything standing outside T3 LHR and back here the airband picks up various AM stations on the airband setting depending on where the aerial is pointed. Scanning on airband produces nothing but a never-ending scan and tuning to known frequencies produces only the AM radio overlap (I'm about a mile from the airport here). Any ideas?

ramsrc
11th Jun 2004, 05:51
Agreed - When right outside the airport you should definitely be able to pick up a multitude of signals.

As alternatives to the STEC - have heard the Maycom AR-108 is a good little receiver. Either that or pretty much anything from Yupiteru - expect to pay more than thirty quid but if you are going to be doing any serious listening then it is worth spending a little more on something a bit more sensitive.

Nopax,thanx
16th Jun 2004, 12:55
I would also recommend the AR-108; after years of owning cheap'n'nasty catalogue bought sets, finally had enough to invest in a proper receiver, and it is a little gem.

It cost £79 but it's worth every penny. I used to use it in Egham where my son was at University and we had a good view of LHR. Picked up everything I wanted it to, clear as a bell.

EKKL
16th Jun 2004, 20:10
The AR 108 is now only £49.

url removed as advertising.

PPRuNe Pop
17th Jun 2004, 03:07
This is a subject that inevitably creates advertising against PPRuNe rules. Please, DO NOT ADVERTISE ANYTHING!

PPP