PDA

View Full Version : Qantas, Air NZ eye island routes

Wirraway
10th Jun 2004, 15:58
Fri "The Australian"

Qantas, Air NZ eye island routes
By Steve Creedy and Claire Harvey
June 11, 2004

QANTAS and Air New Zealand indicated yesterday that they would consider any proposal to take over Pacific routes from struggling island nations.

Treasurer Peter Costello yesterday urged small Pacific nations to privatise or merge their state-owned airlines and subsidise major carriers such as Qantas and Air New Zealand to take over island routes.

Mr Costello was delivering the preliminary findings of an Australian-funded study of Pacific transport due to be finished next month. Air New Zealand and Qantas reacted cautiously to the proposal but neither rejected it out of hand.

Qantas, which already owns 46 per cent of successful Fiji-based airline Air Pacific, said it had worked for many years with several airlines in the Pacific and offered a broad range of assistance.

"We would be prepared to look at further ventures that benefit both parties, particularly given the difficult circumstances many of these airlines are facing," Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon said.

Air New Zealand said: "Air New Zealand would be prepared to discuss such a proposal but, due to the complexities surrounding the matter, any action would require robust discussion and analysis."

Mr Costello said expensive, unprofitable airlines were sapping valuable resources that should be spent on developing the struggling island economies.

He told a meeting of finance ministers in Rotorua, New Zealand, that many islands took national pride in owning a flag carrier, but only a few of the 20 flying could be profitable.

Any subsidy offered by the islands should be publicly advertised so airlines could compete for the business, Mr Costello said.

"If some other airline says I could make a profit with a lower subsidy than that, you make it contestable. But if you own the airline, you're not quite sure how much subsidy you're paying, you're not quite sure who's capturing it and you're not quite sure you're getting best value for money."

The importance of tourism made efficient transport essential to save Pacific nations from economic failure, the ministers said in a joint statement at the meeting.

They agreed to consider the Australian study's finding that some airlines must close, and to examine the prospect of offering subsidies to major international carriers willing to fly the routes.

But Samoan Finance Minister Misa Telefoni said he was concerned that if Samoa privatised its carrier, Polynesian Airlines, unscrupulous buyers could refuse to fly unprofitable routes or simply strip the airline's assets.

Tonga, whose national carrier, Royal Tongan, went into liquidation last month, had had no domestic flights for three weeks, Tongan Finance Minister Siosiua 'Utoikamanu said.

The UN Development Program endorsed Mr Costello's plan and said Pacific countries would simply have to accept that some airlines must go.

==========================================

Blown Seal
11th Jun 2004, 02:13
It is a constant source of amazement to me that some Pacific countries continually put national pride ahead of the development and (hopefully eventual) success of their economies. Whilst at the same time they (governments) put their hands out to AUS, NZ,USA for financial aid, the average Joe hasn't got two cents to rub together.

The UN Development Program endorsed Mr Costello's plan and said Pacific countries would simply have to accept that some airlines must go.

Well look at RTA for proof that some airlines ARE going. Yet the Tongan government is already holding talks to start up another airline, albeit domestic. With the eventual foray of Pacific Blue (in addition to Air NZ/Air Pac) into the market proper, the demise of MORE airlines is only a matter of time. What Costello has said makes sense. Such a pity that common sense isn't that common.
:hmm:

yellow rocket
13th Jun 2004, 08:50
So Ralph and Dicko have finally realised that Pacific Blue is going to the islands, but between the two of them, they think telling Pacific states that they're too incompetent to run their own airlines is going to get them support?

Deary me...

slamer
13th Jun 2004, 10:16
YR....Huh!....I dont think ANZ or Q commissioned this report, nor do these Airlines accuse anyone of being incompetant.

I do think this is a "first step" toward ensuring a reliable, sustainable, affordable and safe air-service to some remote and in many cases corrupt Pacific Nations. It is essential these Communities can rely on this mode of Transportation, and not suffer from Political "Whims".

chimbu warrior
14th Jun 2004, 04:17
I'd suggest that Peter Costello was drawing upon his vast knowledge and experience in aviation matters to offer the poor nations of the Pacific an opportunity to have their very own airline with a kangaroo on the tail.

On The Horizon
14th Jun 2004, 08:18
I think this is a great idea and long overdue, the industry in the pacific has to consolidate. I don't see the kangaroo expaning onto these routes. Air Pacific would be a better vehicle for expansion onto these routes. For that those countries that have trouble swallowing their national pride, they will find it easier in cooperation with a fellow pacific island nation airline, Rather than be seen to be taken over by the big sheep or kangaroo, with the fears that the route structure would be cherry picked and the rest canned.

Kaptin M
14th Jun 2004, 09:49
If my memory serves me correctly :zzz: didn't Sir Richard Branson make a similar offer some 12 (?) months ago, by offering small Pacific nations a similar deal?

Is Pacific/Virgin Blue starting to appear to be a real threat to the cosy duopoly of the big Q and Air N.Z.?

Treasurer Peter Costello yesterday urged small Pacific nations to privatise or merge their state-owned airlines and subsidise major carriers such as Qantas and Air New Zealand to take over island routes.Another source of cheaper F/A's for QF (and Air N.Z.) perhaps?

Animalclub
15th Jun 2004, 01:56
The Pacific Islands did have an airline. It was owned by eight different island nations. It was the original Air Pacific (I think it was called Fiji Air). Amongst other routes they used to fly Herons from Solomon Islands to Nadi via a couple of ports. Solomon Government owns (or used to own) a piece of Air Pacific through their original investment.

The major problem was scheduling - as some nations wanted say three services a week and there was traffic sufficient for just one service a week. You can imagine what the board meetings were like!!

There has to be one owner of the airline (not an island nation - to avoid rivalry) and it has to run on a commercial basis. It can be done if the Islanders let it.