PDA

View Full Version : Air Andaman

HotDog
10th Jun 2004, 14:09
What's the latest news on air Andaman. I hear they aquired a new Chief Operating Officer, ex CX and are re-equipping with F100s?

sanook
10th Jun 2004, 14:16
Please check your pm

varigflier
10th Jun 2004, 15:58
Are they hiring now??:confused:

STOKKEN
23rd Jun 2004, 15:17
Yep they are using an Agency for their recruitment

ALLBLACK
23rd Jun 2004, 18:34
Can somebody tell me what they are looking for , are they looking for rated pilots or any 400 TT cpl holders ,,,,,,

Prop

varigflier
24th Jun 2004, 02:15
What agency are they using??

ronnie123
24th Jun 2004, 03:33
After a Google search local new paper advert for FOs minimums 2000hrs. And Thai CPL:confused:

varigflier
24th Jun 2004, 04:32
If they are using an agency, chances are they are hiring foreigners.

Touch'n'oops
2nd Jul 2004, 06:01
Things are not going well here lads!

I got some really reliable info from someone. Air Andaman should have started operations, but the company owner hasn't paid the right bribes to the right people.

Second problem. Air Andaman is having to pay for all their customers to fly Thai for the mean time.

Third problem. The Chief Operating Office claimed to know his Sh$t about negotiating traffic rights. But his only back ground is taking part in the set-up of CXs north pole route to NYC. Basicaly mister ex-CX has lied his tits off to get the job and has demonstrated his incompetence since!

I just feel sorry for the owner! The guy is surrounded by muppets!!!

Oh btw they are trying to operating 737-300s

HotDog
6th Jul 2004, 23:37
Well Touch'n'oops, mister ex-CX was Line Operations Manager the last time I flew with him. Yes, he did command the CX 744 on it's flight from NYC/HKG over the pole but was deeply involved in overfly negotiations in the Middle East and Russian airspace. Are you ex Air Andaman by any chance?

Touch'n'oops
12th Jul 2004, 17:56
uurrrr... No!
Why?

HotDog
12th Jul 2004, 23:37
Well, you seem to have a fairly strong opinion about PGH in your previous post. I thought maybe you had professional contact with the man?

Touch'n'oops
13th Jul 2004, 06:58
I was simply relying the sentiments of my man in the know.

I personaly have nothing against the airline. In fact I would like to see it prosper! More jobs for all!!!!

HotDog
15th Jul 2004, 00:19
SCMP July 15;

Andrew Pyne, Cathay Pacific Airway's general manager for International Affairs, has tendered his resignation and will be joining Bangkok-based Air Andaman as an adviser.

Touch'n'oops
12th Oct 2004, 15:59
Sorry to open up this can of worms again!

If I am right, the CEO of Air Andaman has done a runner!

I am not big in the business world, but that tells me things have not been good for a while.

HotDog
14th Oct 2004, 00:35
October 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixed fortunes for two Thai carriers
Andaman down and out

By David Fullbrook
in Bangkok
Thai regional airline, Air Andaman, launched earlier this year as an “affordable luxury carrier” after the failure of its predecessor of the same name, has gone out of business with the board and its former president, Dean Mills, laying the blame for the demise at each other’s door.
While trying to stave off bankruptcy and unravel events that caused new investors to break up and withdraw their cash, Air Andaman’s board says it is considering legal action against Mills. The former boss says they have no case.

Former president, Atichart Athakravisunthorn, who has returned to sort out the mess, said: “We’re doing damage assessment now, it’s 50-50 at this point whether the company will continue.” He declined to comment further at this stage.

The airline has said the troubles were brought about by problems at the company’s Singapore office. Mills, in an e-mail sent to Orient Aviation from Bangkok, said there were “many reasons plus competition” for the closure of the carrier.

It is claimed by one senior Air Andaman source that a company was set up in Singapore, separate from Air Andaman, but using the Air Andaman name. A general sales agent was appointed in Singapore and tickets were sent down to the separate office.

But directors in Bangkok said they knew little of what happened thereafter in Singapore. “Financial wrongdoing by this new company, which Air Andaman in Bangkok did not know about, is being investigated,” said the source.

Mills, who left after the closure of the airline in August, said the carrier was well aware of what was happening. “This is complete rubbish as [the company] was approved by the board in February 2004,” he wrote. “[The] Singapore office of Air Andaman endorsed and chartered aircraft resulting in a loss of over S$1.9m in the last six months.”

Mills, a hotelier, took over the original Air Andaman domestic carrier earlier this year after it had ceased services. Heading a group of foreign and Thai investors, he launched a new look regional Air Andaman intending to reinvent the carrier in the mould of JetBlue, of the U.S., offering free champagne on all flights, leather seats with a 33-inch pitch and meals concocted by star chef Jorge Cardus.

However, trouble started in May when Mills returned from Brazil with a dry-leased Fokker F100. It should have been wet-leased. Consequently Andaman was unable to operate the aircraft commercially immediately.

That left passengers with tickets for the Bangkok-Singapore service high and dry. Rather than refund their money, Mills elected to charter aircraft to transport passengers, which evolved into an unbridgeable rift among investors.

Back in June, Mills was outlining plans for more Southeast Asian routes, ultimately aiming to unlock the South American market through a tie-up with TAM via Paris.

By the year end Mills was expecting to lease two 737-400s and wet-lease an Airbus A330-300 from TAM to serve China, India and northern Europe via the Middle East.

varigflier
14th Oct 2004, 02:51
Too bad this is happening. It's always sad to see airlines close down.