PDA

View Full Version : MD80's in Asia ??

bafanguy
10th Jun 2004, 02:57
In need of some advice from you old Asia hands. How's the market for MD80 expats in Asia ? I hear bits and pieces about Indonesian operators needing MD80 captains, but this also includes horror stories about pay, working conditions, poor maintenance, etc. of Indonesian carriers.

Any reputable carriers in the area you can recommend ? I'm early retired from a major USA carrier and have 6,000 hours MD80 time but my age and the job market here are working against me. Sure wish I'd spent all that time on the 737 instead !!!

Thanks for the advice.

Snot Box
10th Jun 2004, 04:50
As far as taking expats for the Mad Dog is concerned, off the top of my head, I could only think of Lion Air in Jakarta.

Uni Air (EVA) and FAT are, correct me if I am wrong, mostly or if not, all local crews now. FAT used to have expat crews but that's a long time ago.

And JAS, now part of JAL also are crewed by their own supply of pilots. And this goes thru also for China Northern.

Sorry not more positive news but at least to give you an idea and expectations.

Interconti
10th Jun 2004, 13:49
Better do not consider Lion Air! Especially when you come from a 1st world carrier. Lion Air hires only expat copilots and upgrades them if they like their "attitude" (means exceeding all known limits in aviation without grumbling). To summarize; Lion Air management is a bunch of crooks and saftey standards in all aspects are lower than you could ever imagine.....

By the way the basic pay is 1650.- US for an expat F/O!

Good luck

:\ :\ :\

bafanguy
10th Jun 2004, 20:15
Snot Box & Interconti,

Thanks for the info...I appreciate it.

bafanguy
10th Jun 2004, 22:45
Well, let me ask the question another way. In Asia, what MD80 operators do you consider reputable, safe places to work ? I hear Star and Airfast mentioned...any comment on them ? Any place in Asia would be OK as long as the operation was not dangerous.

Any information you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Interconti
10th Jun 2004, 23:48
Good MD80 jobs are getting rare. Despite the current situation in the Middle East.....Have you tried Saudi Arabian Airlines? They got a bunch of MD90 's and traditionally they hire American/ FAA pilots. In addition Qatar accepts DEC applications from non Airbus rated guys... You might even get a shot with Emirates, rather unlikely though if you dont have wide body experience (big ladies dont count......)

;) ;) ;)

Cheers

PK-KAR
14th Jun 2004, 20:29
Lion... well, unfortunately, all the bad things about them written here... are somewhat true.

Star Air MD83s... but not looking for pilots, they may be getting rid of them soon.

Bouraq MD82s... Don't be surprised if your cabin is full of 732 safety cards and your 732 mates call you up asking to swap the cards since their is all MD82s... It happens!

Airfast... Best bet for Indonesia... good work, good pay... BUT, boring route! CGK-SUB-UPG-TIM only... the stop in SUB and UPG depends if anyone wants to get off! Company charte flights, whaddya expect?

Interconti... your comments about Lion... hmm, were you there for a while? it seems that the discontent is now going to the local pilots there too! ("Bad weather? Who cares ! Go there again!")

PK-KAR

Interconti
15th Jun 2004, 16:01
:mad: PK - KAR it seems we are both insiders regarding Lion Air. I have read your comments on the other thread about Lion as well.
I feel sorry for the local pilots at Lion Air. Local captains basic pay was lower than the expat F/O pay, which was 1650.- $ basic & 1250.-$ duty allowance. These captains totalled approx. 2000.-$/ month! Furthermore guys are bonded for 5 years with the company if given a MD80 conversion course.
Pilots are not only FORCED to disregard weather minimums but if they decide to tank additional fuel they have to justify their decision before the Operations Manager (he is a slimy crook by the way who has no clue about how to run operations). Maintenance/ airworthiness of aircraft is so bad that I don't even start to elaborate......
The local pilots can't argue much, if they do.... they are threatend by their so called management with immediate dismissal and in Indonesian aviation this means instantly the end of your career. Furthermore the local culture does not really allow for blunt criticism so better accept an 18 hour duty day flying 6 sectors with an unserviceable aircraft ..... and keep smiling all the time.... "no hurt feelings" is the credo
:eek: :eek:

Concerning the girls you are right these hostess were chasing us! Every day....:D :D :D

Cheers

Foreign Worker
16th Jun 2004, 21:36
JAL Express (JEX), an Osaka basing of the domestic arm of Japan Air Lines, are (direct) recruiting foreigners for their MD fleet which they have taken over from JAS.
"Reputable"? They do have a reputation - but not for their honesty, according to all accounts.