View Full Version : 4 day getaway from BAH - input needed where to go?!?

Ray Darr
9th Jun 2004, 22:01
OK gang, I am bored. Time for yet another get-away break - 4 days to fill out of Bahrain. Time-line: away on a Thursday and back no later than a Monday evening (this time...). Where where WHERE is one to GO?! So much to do, so many places to see...

I've scoured the "Night Stop" forum in the past and came up with some gems for me 'n' wifey on different trips before...I'd appreciate any headings to...ahh...head to. No travel agencies, pahlease...! (I will use Industry Discount - ID - travel.)

Thanks in advance, oh well travelled travellers.

4HP: This is Mid-East and area-specific...gimme some lattitude on the question before it is relegated to Jet Blast and buried under a Tony Draper gem....:p

BahrainLad
10th Jun 2004, 07:53
It depends on your personal situation. If you have the luxury of ID travel, with 4 days the world is literally your oyster.

London is a cinch at this time of the year.....flights wide open both outward and return. You might even get some good weather.....and if you like Tennis, Stella Artois is on. Paris is slightly harder from BAH, with only 4 flights per week (IIRC) but they should be pretty empty this time of year as well.

Alternatively, if you don't fancy Europe, ehen you're in the Gulf it's an ideal time to visit the subcontinent, if only for the experience. And with a 3-4 hour flying time you would maximise your time on the ground.

Failing that just head down to Dubai!

(Oh, and based on a recent experience, 3.5 days is just enough time to 'do' Hong Kong.....)

EuroATC
10th Jun 2004, 08:37
oh come on!! you don't wanna stay and enjoy the paradise of Bahrain island??? You can go check out the tree of life, go to one of the forts and drive by the F1 track... now that's a holiday!!! :)

see you friday :)

Flip Flop Flyer
10th Jun 2004, 09:02
Copenhagen is absolutely fantastic this time of year, and will be a nice break from the heat. KLM's got some good offers going at the moment; around 200BD for a return on monkey.

Go sit in Nyhavn and enjoy a cold Tuborg, have a stroll down Stroeget and let the wife melt some plastic, see Tivoli in the evening for a spot of romantic dining. Hire a car and have a drive around the country side. You'll have a blast mate, but do bring plenty of dosh.

3* hotels in CPH are around 700DKK/Night. A beer in Nyhavn is around 40DKK. A night in Tivoli with a nice dinner will set you back around 1000DKK for a party of two. Hardly cheap, but we gotta spend them petro-dollars one way of the other, right?

BlueEagle
10th Jun 2004, 10:43
Jordan, Petra, stuff like that?

It really all depends on what you want. Manilla and Bangkok are within reach too!;)

Ray Darr
10th Jun 2004, 17:30
I'm leaning towards Cairo, Muscat or Larnaca. Dunno yet though...

Yep, see you Fri. Have the Plasma unit all packed. Looking forward to it. Out. :D

boiler
10th Jun 2004, 17:52
I think Petra is a great idea. There are tons of hotels offering rooms for bargin prices. From there, you could go to Aqaba and do some scuba diving. The coral reefs there are really nice.

tic
11th Jun 2004, 09:10
Wadi's around Muscat. Hire 4WD and take coast road to Sur. Wadi's great fun: lots more water than you think. Or try Salalah. Beaches are great. It will be hot but much cooler than the Gulf.

Ray Darr
11th Jun 2004, 21:25
Wow lots of good ideas. Unfortunately I am too over-full from a fantastic dinner at a friends place to think too much on this right now... :D

I do like the Muscat "Wadi Bash" idea though....might do a couple of days there, then hop over to play "Lawrence" and "Mrs. Lawrence" around the Pyramids for a couple of more days.

Petra sounds fantastic - maybe for next time. Great suggestion though! :ok:

Any others??

Cheers,
R.D.

StandAlone
11th Jun 2004, 23:28
What about Maldives?
The name speaks for it self.

Enjoy anywhere you decide to go.

SA

Left Coaster
12th Jun 2004, 03:14
Al Khasab in the north...past RAK, dolphins, diving, snorkeling. Charter a dhow locally or from the guy at the Golden Tulip resort 4*...Did it a while back and had a great weekend. About t 3 hr drive from Dubai in to a province of Oman, no visa except a quick stop for papers please type of check. Hope it's all fun whatever you do.