PDA

View Full Version : Not responding.

maggioneato
9th Jun 2004, 21:43
My PC has in the last few days become almost unusable as programmes are just freezing, so I am getting programme not responding continually, then end up having to turn off from the modem. Have XP with Zone Alarm and broadband which is now slower than dial up. I don't know where to look to sort it out, any suggestions please.

BOAC
9th Jun 2004, 22:23
A good start is to read THIS (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117136) thread from NAC.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jun 2004, 02:19
maggioneato,

It sure sounds like your comp is full of pests. The link BOAC gave you is a good start.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If your surfing of the net is so slow now, I would also look to see if you are infected with a virus that launches DoS Attacks from infected computers. (You might be launching DoS Attacks and not even know it. You can tell very quickly by checking your outbound traffic with ZA.)

maggioneato
10th Jun 2004, 07:24
Thanks folks, believe it or not, PC is running normally up to speed today, I had checked for pests and not found anything, so now I am even more confused, as I hav'nt done anything, and it's running fine, how long for is a different matter. :confused:

amanoffewwords
10th Jun 2004, 07:27
I would have done a ctrl-alt-del and had look at the processes to see if any one of time was hogging the cpu at 99% and worked my way backwards from there.

Charles

maggioneato
10th Jun 2004, 08:26
Charles, I could'nt even get to Ctrl Alt Del, it was just dead. Still sems to be behaving, so I am now wondering if it could have been a problem with AOL not me. Time will tell.