PDA

View Full Version : How to turn computer on and off automatically

GMS
9th Jun 2004, 16:55
I would like to run my spyware and antivirus programmes every night, and would like to know if anybody knows of a way that I may set the computer to come on and off at a predetermined time in order to do this.

Many thanks for any help.

dusk2dawn
9th Jun 2004, 17:28
I believe that most bios' can be set to start-up at a fixed time. Shutting down probably have to be done from a cron job.

fobotcso
9th Jun 2004, 19:17
As stated, auto-startup can be done from the BIOS using the "alarm" function (if it's provided).

Thereafter, you can use Windows Scheduler to run a Batch File that will run the applications you want in sequence. Each one will start when the previous one finishes. If you haven't done Batch Files before now is the time to learn. They are simple, high-level (plain language), command files running in a Command Window.

The last command in the batch file, after all the other applications have finished, can be the one that shuts down the PC. This differs with the version of Windows. You don't say what version you are running so this as far as we can go at the moment.

If you want a fuller answer, give more information.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jun 2004, 02:15
GMS,

If you are going to run scans every evening, just leave the comp on 24/7. I have always preferred keeping humidity out of the case and a stabilized temp vs, turning it off and on all the time.

Take Care,

Richard

Land After
13th Jun 2004, 22:28
System Preferences -> Energy Saver

Click the "Schedule" Tab

Enter the Startup and Sleep or Shutdown times you prefer.

(Works fine on my Mac...... :ok: )

Otherwise - I vote for Richards suggestion of keeping the thing on 24/7. Less chance of wear on the components, the VDU should shut itself down anyway.

Keef
16th Jun 2004, 19:24
The right answer is to leave it on 24/7/365.

I haven't turned mine off in months. The VDU powers down after 30 minutes, and the hard disks are set to something similar. (It's all in Power Options in the Control Panel).

At some ungodly hour of the morning, the machine checks AVG for virus updates, then loads those, then does a full virus scan. Then it does a defrag and a few other things. Then I wake up.

I have a timeswitch on the power lead to the speakers, so they go silent at 10pm (memsahib's bedtime) and come on at 9am. There's probably a way to do that with software, but I had the timeswitch and it was dead easy to plug it in.