PDA

View Full Version : Navy FAA Wannabe Q - sorry

eldorado1
9th Jun 2004, 14:04
Hi,
I have FATs coming up soon but have a quick q about a potential medical issue. I had a spot of Freshers Flu at the beginning of Uni and a bit of a cough, i went to the doc and he gave me penicillin and an inhaler in case my chest felt tight. I have never had asthma in my life and did not use the inhaler at all. If i was to pass FATs and AIB would i be rejected when they checked my medical records because of this prescription. I only thought about this because i viewed a similar post on a marines forum where the person had asthma as a child and then was recently given an inhaler when he got flu. When does the Navy actually check your medical records? Should i go and see my doc and see if he can edit my records to show that the inhaler was not indicative of Asthma. or am i completely screwed? Any relevant info would be much appreciated - sorry the post is a bit long winded / dull
thanks in advance
Ian

airborne_artist
9th Jun 2004, 17:40
I think you'd be fine - you've no diagnosis of asthma, and the penicillin you had prescribed for the episode you mention would have had no impact on asthma, so clearly was not intended to treat naything other than an infection.

Doc wouldn't be happy editing yr records, but may be amenable to adding an explanation to the original case.

It's a very long time since I went to and passed AIB and the (then) Haslar/Seafield Park medical examination - suggest you get out yr trainers/bike and get fit (I'd been biking 30 miles a day to/from work for three months, and it was noted) and concentrate on your AIB preparation (Economist etc.) rather than worrying about this minor and I hope insignificant point.

Melrin Dip
9th Jun 2004, 17:58
Artist,

The issue with inhalers is asthma.

You are right that IF you pass the AIB they will query the inhaler issue and will probably want to see the medical records concerned. It will be the Doctors assessment of the episode which will be key but you'll have to wait and see.

On a lighter note:

Are you on this years special flying award as there are places available on the later one end of August.

:cool:

Thud Ridge
9th Jun 2004, 18:40
I was in a similar situation when i went through AIB/CAAMB. I had an inhaler when i was about 12 for a 'respiratory problem'. I went to see my doc before AIB and went through all my doc's notes from birth. He was very friendly and explained any issues i may have had. He elaborated in my notes, about the inhaler, that it was not for asthma and was for some other bronchial problem that had long since cleared.

This put my mind at rest and left me to work for my AIB without having to worry about what may happen if i did pass. They go through them with a fine tooth-comb after you leave AIB (only if you have passed both AIB and the medical)

Have fun, get involved, and FLY NAVY.

TR

eldorado1
9th Jun 2004, 20:50
Thanks alot for replying it has helped put my mind at rest. I think i will go and see the doc and maybe see if he can add explanatory notes. Am i correct in the assumption that it is now too late to be considered for September entry (i graduate this yr), because i have been assuming that January is more likely and subsequently am aiming to do the New York marathon on 7th November and then hopefully start in January. Obviously the Navy is far more important but i would love to do the marathon, - anyway thanks again