View Full Version : Safety Pilot hours-How about this idea!

Touch'n'oops
9th Jun 2004, 14:02
I understand that you may not log safety pilot hours under JAR if operating a single pilot aircraft.

HOWEVER, if you were building hours in the US, flying under a US PPL W/INSTRUMENT RATING, essentially you are flying and logging hours in accordence with FAA REGS!!!

My conclusion to this is that it is perfectly legal to log P2 time!!!

If anyone can prove me wrong, please pipe up!!!!

Charlie Zulu
9th Jun 2004, 16:57
Hi Touch'n'oops,

Actually if you're acting as a safety pilot under FAA regulations then you can log the time legally as P1 as long as the other pilot is under the hood and you are in VMC conditions within an aircraft that you are rated to fly.

However I would certainly suggest you don't do this as although legitimate in the FAA world, the CAA could ask you how you gained the hours. If they did ask, how would you respond?

They (the CAA) probably wouldn't take too kindly if you say safety pilot time under FAA regulations.

I've read on a US based Pilot Forums that some US airlines are becomming wise to certain schools aircraft registrations and immediately halfing the number of P1 hours you have... however this is speculation so don't take my word for it.

When you're hour building in the States I would recommend keeping all receipts etc just in case.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

VFE
9th Jun 2004, 17:51
I was told that the FAA hours build method mentioned above is not recognised by JAR so would be a complete waste of time.

Of course, people sometimes make things up just to appear knowledgable so my advice would be to pick up a phone and get onto FCL at Gatwick and find out for yourself. There are lot of know it all bull****ters around in the commercial flight training world so it's often best to get off ones arse and get facts straight from the horses mouth because some people will say anything just to save losing face.

VFE.

OneIn60rule
9th Jun 2004, 18:21
I believe I posted something about this practice but I won't bother repeating it, instead I'll just say what our Chief FI has said about this practice:

It is not recognized as P1 time. Only in the FAA world will you be able to get away with this somewhat oddity.

Try looking at the lasors or ask European Instructors.

FlyingForFun
10th Jun 2004, 09:36
1in60 is correct - don't worry about what anyone else says, look at LASORS for the definitive answer. You will find that the only way of logging time as safety pilot which is acceptable to the CAA is to put "SNY" (supernumary) in the operating capacity column, and to record the time in the "other" column, where it does not get added to your totals. When you are applying for a UK or JAR license or rating, or applying for a job with a JAR operator, or quoting your hours to an insurance company for insurance on a JAR-registered aircraft, you must follow JAR rules.

FFF
-------------

Touch'n'oops
12th Jun 2004, 14:04
Cheers all for the input and sound advice!

As my instructor used to say

"In aviation opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one!":}