PDA

View Full Version : NZ BFRs in ireland/UK

Irishwingz
9th Jun 2004, 01:53
Hello there

I have just got my NZ PPL - yipee. I like the fact that its valid for life and needs the BFR every 2 years.

Are there instructors/schools in Ireland or the UK that are qualified to do BFR renewals in case I need to do this at home? Rather than having to come back every 2 years to NZ - which would be very nice but its costly in a 172.

Cheers

:} :ok:

rottenlungs
9th Jun 2004, 05:44
Hey Congrats mate! Thats really good news..

`fraid I`ve no idea about NZ bfr`s in the UK/Eire though

Enjoy

Lungs

Sqwark2000
9th Jun 2004, 08:38
Irishwings,

Be careful about the "lifetime" status of your NZ PPL. It is only lifetime if you remain fully current, i.e 90 day thing + BFR.

If you do let your BFR lapse and not use your license for 5 yrs, then your lifetime license is cancelled and the Air LAw exam and another "initial issue" PPL flight test will have to be completed to renew your PPL.

Congrats on the PPL though, good work :ok:

PS: If you do want to do a BFR overseas for your NZ PPL, then check out the requirement to use a NZ registered a/c for the purposes of completing the BFR. Not sure myself, but think there once was a requirement to do NZ license requirements in a NZ registered a/c.

Cheers

S2K

mjv
9th Jun 2004, 19:43
irishwingz

have a look at www.caa.govt.nz >pilots >part61 and AC61.1.3

cheers

mjv

Luke SkyToddler
9th Jun 2004, 22:31
When do you need a BFR mate?

Myself and another bloke I know are both kiwi 'B' cat holders based in Scotland, I'd love to help you out but my instructor rating's not actually current at the moment.

I was thinking about renewing it when I go home for my xmas holiday though, and then it should be good for all of 2005 I guess?

Would need to check the legality of a few different things first, as sqwark says.

Irishwingz
11th Jun 2004, 04:11
Hi All

Thanks MJV - looked into the CAA site but could find the reference you gave....

LST - I dont need a BFR for 2 years but I could be in Ireland/UK then so can I book one in for 2.30pm June 2nd 2006? Only kidding - though that may be a market opportunity, renewing NZ licences in the UK - given the amount of Kiwis in the UK. I know a guy who does South African renewals in UK (on a UK reg plane I think) and he does alright.

I'll contact the CAA about this later on. No major dramas at this stage. Hiring a 172 in Wellington tomorrow - hope the weather is nice!!

Cheers guys

:}

cdf
11th Jun 2004, 04:25
Tip for the day
Get out of aviation before it's too late!

mjv
11th Jun 2004, 10:52
Irishwingz

61.39 Biennial flight review
(a) The holder of a pilot licence issued under this Part, shall not exercise
the privileges of that licence for longer than 2 years from the date of the
issue or renewal flight test for that licence unless the holder has, in
accordance with paragraph (b), successfully completed a flight review
within the immediately preceding 2 years, and a record to that effect in the
form required by paragraph (c) has been endorsed in the holder's log book.
(b) A biennial flight review shall be conducted by an appropriately
qualified flight instructor and shall consist of—
(1) A review of the current general operating and flight rules
applicable to the use of the licence under review, with particular
emphasis upon applicable changes introduced within the
immediately preceding 2 year period; and
(2) flight instruction to review those manoeuvres and procedures
applicable to the use of the licence under review.
(c) When a flight instructor is satisfied that a flight review has been
successfully completed, the flight instructor shall certify the pilot's logbook to that effect.

that's a clear statement!!! and if you spend a couple of more minutes at the nzcaa side you will find this as well:
FLIGHT TEST STANDARDS GUIDE
PRIVATE PILOT LICENCE ISSUE
and
BIENNIAL FLIGHT REVIEW (BFR)

have a talk to the NZCAA, guy's are not that bad.

mjv