PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP(L) Conversion

dwyerta
8th Jun 2004, 17:15
G'day Mates--

I was wondering if anyone has ever done an overseas conversion to an OZ ATPL. How long it takes, costs, and job prospects?
I've been in contact with CASA on the requirements and exams, but I'm wondering where I could find some good study materials for the written exams, and just getting a sense of the regulations/publications used.

Any help would be great! Thanks!!

mjbow2
9th Jun 2004, 15:02
Rules are changing soon.

Right now you can:

Take casa your log book + US certificate and they will issue a certificate of validation so you can do the flight training/check ride for issue of OZ lic.

Commercial law written
ATPL law written
Instrument written (IREX)
Instrument Check ride......

take papers to casa.....next day licence is sent

OR

do all 7 ATPL written exams
Commercial law written
IREX
Instrument check ride.

Advanced Flight Theory in Maroochie is about the best I found for correspondance study material. Once you have the material they will give you phone support. IE ask any questions on the material...... search on the web for them....AFT !

I did self study for the law exams (easy) and classroom course for the IREX. I allowed 1 month of self study for both law exams (plenty of time) and took a 3 week course for the IREX (needed).

Some will tell you the IREX is hard.....its not, its just different than what your used to. didnt bother with the other ATPL exams.

PM me if you want other info.

PS i returned to oz from the US in dec........not too many pickings for jobs down there especially if you want to continue flying the corporate jets. I came back to the states a couple of weeks ago, a little frustrated at the lack of prospects.....now flying a citation back in the US. Still looking to get back to oz though, as I was offered a turboprop job flying freight......no start date yet. If you have never been in the oz job market then I encourage you to go down, convert, and spend some time looking. You wont believe how choked and over regulated ozzi aviation is.

good luck!