PDA

View Full Version : Malsy aka Mal Bilett needs our support

Woomera
8th Jun 2004, 16:46
Malsy aka Mal Billet needs our support:
We were advised today that Mal known to many of us on the airwaves is not travelling too well at the moment.

There will be many PPruNers who remember Mal with affection as a great bloke and a genuine aviation character.

His easily recognised and cheerful voice ( he was known to me as "squeaky" and others as "petal") was always welcome at all hours of the day and in the long reaches of the night always giving us more than just the required "service" and there was always a cup of coffee and a fun chat about his favourite subject, "aviation" and every thing to do with it when you were passing through. :D

I'm sure he'd love to get AIREPs from his large band of brothers and share some news about their current life and times.

His email addy is

[email protected] :ok:

Kaptin M
8th Jun 2004, 21:37
More info req'd

Where do we know him from, W?
If he's an ATC'er. then I think I know who you mean.

divingduck
8th Jun 2004, 21:41
Hey Kap...

Mal, if my ever foggier memory serves me correctly used to be posted for ages up in Kununnarra Flight Service, then back in Perth.

Done coord with the squeaky voiced one many times from Derby in the old days.

hoss
8th Jun 2004, 22:20
How could I ever forget Mal's voice on Perth FIS:ok: .

He always put a smile on my face. He recognised my daily voice and we all recognised his. It wasn't until late during my time up in the Kimberley that I was able to put a face to 'the voice'.

I only met you briefly Mal but your one of the bigger names that I remember from up there. I am not sure what has happened mate, but I give you the Best Wishes.

Take care, hoss :)

Class of the Kimberley 94 to 00
(ex Aerial Enterprises and Coastwatch, call sign CW574)

QSK?
9th Jun 2004, 01:22
Mal is a great guy and a fantastic contributor to safe aviation. Would do anything for anybody often without having to be asked.

Many pilots will recall that when the HF was bad and one couldn't hear any FSU at all, the one voice that always seemed to be there to pick up your taxy call or your sartime cancellation was Mal's. Somehow his voice always seemed to defy ionospherical physics and get through.

I heard one story where his famous voice actually saved an IFR pilot from certain death, after he had inadvertently fallen asleep while on descent into a remote airport at night after a long trip. I believe the pilot eventually woke up after Mal's unique voice tones finally drummed into his subconscious, just in time to prevent the aircraft from contacting the ground.

Go well, Mal - you are a FS (and industry) legend and not many of us can lay claim to that.

The Voice
9th Jun 2004, 01:25
Malsy is tall, medium build with red hair. He was a stalwart of PH Flight Service during those heady days .. quite often heard on PH Intl HF as well as the domestic variety.

Could I reiterate please:

emails to his home addy: [email protected]

RV6
11th Jun 2004, 02:53
Update on Mal

Mal was discharged from hospital this morning. He's been diagnosed with a tumour of the bone marrow. Treatment is planned.

Many thanks for all the emails - keep them coming so we can keep this great guy smiling :D

RV6

redsnail
11th Jun 2004, 11:28
Yep I remember his voice from my time in the Kimberley. (94-98)
Alligator Airways and Coastwatch. My nick was modded to "Coast witch 564"
Hope you feel better soon :D

Ex FSO GRIFFO
17th Jun 2004, 02:32
Mal may not be feeling like visitors or phone calls.

Would suggest messages of goodwill, mild humoured insults,
and any other 'cheerios' to his addy [email protected]

Am sure he would love to hear from his 'fans' from far and wide...

Pilot - "G'day Mal"
Mal - "Howdya know its ME???" in VERY distinct high pitched voice! UNMISTAKEABLE!
Good operator and all round bloke.

Cheers,

Area QNH 1013...

The Voice
17th Jun 2004, 05:31
Griffo you old reprobate ..

still prez, patron and no. 1 ticket holder of the Misogynyst Society, retired FSO Branch?

He never could get over how people knew it was him on air!

Northern Chique
17th Jun 2004, 07:04
Mal - all the best

Through the portals of Alligator, Kunnunurra 97- 00

"Wiskey Oscar.... Wiskey Oscar... what ever I am, landed Kununurra cancel SAR"

"Long day at the bungles... say gidday to Craig... WOT Sarwatch terminated...."

Mals voice was always worth listening too and that dry sense of humour will hopefully pull him through...

The Voice
17th Jun 2004, 08:53
holey moley Chiquette .. was that you?

good grief .. the penny has just dropped .. he mentioned a female driver by your name more than once in passing!! :E