PDA

View Full Version : "Victor" take-0ff crash Akrotiri early 1960's

Tartan Giant
8th Jun 2004, 16:15
I am trying to find out more information about a "Victor" that crashed on take-off at RAF Akrotiri in the early 60's.
Very sadly, all on board perished, including the co-pilot who ejected as the aircraft became engulfed in flames.

I have tried using 'search engines' but cannot located any website allowing access to even an excerpt from the BoI findings.

I am inquiring for a good friend; any information will be sympathetically handled.

It may be I have to go to the Public Records Office to find the answers, however any leads would be appreciated.

Thank you

TG

Gainesy
8th Jun 2004, 17:01
TG

I'm fairly sure that there was mention of this accident on this forum some time a long while back. Tried a search?

Tartan Giant
8th Jun 2004, 17:26
Thanks for that GAINSEY - I'll give it try.

Cheers

TG

Art Field
8th Jun 2004, 19:20
All I can tell you is that the most probable cause was a malfunction in the flap selection system although I am not sure that any firm evidence was found.

Tartan Giant
8th Jun 2004, 19:26
Thanks for the info 'Art'.

I take it from that, although the requsite T/O flap was selected (and probably indicated such) the flap did not travel to the selected position?

Cheers

TG

ORAC
9th Jun 2004, 05:46
See here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61993&highlight=victor+akrotiri+crash)

Toddington Ted
9th Jun 2004, 09:08
As the Public Relations Officer at RAF Akrotiri in 97-98, a major duty of mine was to arrange visits to the Stn, so many people seem to want to visit the place for some reason! However, during this time, I arranged a visit to the Stn for a widow of one of the aforementioned Victor's crew ( I cannot recall her name but respectfully would not wish to broadcast it in any case) who was accompanied by an Army widow, whose late husband had been shot and killed in Limassol during the EOKA troubles in 1956. The ladies wished to see the old hospital site and also the dispersal where the 10 Sqn Victor stayed prior to its take off and subsequent horrific crash. Clearly the oft heard phrase of laying ghosts to rest seemed to be applicable here. I felt very humbled in their stoic presence. The Army widow was sent back to the UK after her husband's untimely death, but no flight home for her as she told me it was home to the UK in a troopship in those days!

Tartan Giant
9th Jun 2004, 11:19
Many thanks ORAC.

I have sent a PM to Mr_Gruby as he might be able to help me on this one.

Toddington Ted: An interesting sequel too.

Thanks again

Cheers

TG