PDA

View Full Version : Carswell USAF Base, Dallas

gijoe
8th Jun 2004, 13:05
Has anyone been ?

Got to go for work reasons - what's it like, what's based there, has it got a BX ( empty suitcases out, heavy in etc)?

Any advice appreciated.

Also got to drive down from Dallas to Austin - any good places to drop in on the way?

G

Navaleye
8th Jun 2004, 14:10
Lived in Dallas for 2 years in the early 90s. and went to Carswell a couple of times to visit a mate in the ANG. Yes, it has a BX and a bowling alley.

If its your first time in Dallas take a few days extra and go to the West End at night. Also some very good bars on the road out to the Galleria mall. You can't miss the large bill boards on the side of the road (hint :ok: ).

There is nothing but flat dirt between Dallas and Austin, but once you get there go to 6th Street and find a restaurant called Dan McCluskeys.

PS: It will be 90deg +

Have a great time. I always did.
Navaleye

emitex
8th Jun 2004, 16:00
It also has it's own Burger King and Cinema, lots of F16, 18's and Herc's and beatiful views of Lockheed Martin 1 mile long 'hangar' across the field.

The Stockyards in Fort Worth is worth a trip on Friday/Saturday nights, especially if you like the smell of leather and Bud Light...

:)

gijoe
8th Jun 2004, 16:37
Thanks for all replies
:ok:

OFBSLF
8th Jun 2004, 17:11
You can't miss the large bill boards on the side of the roadThose would be the dancing clubs, right? Last time I was there, the taxis had adds for them as well. :O

hooley
9th Jun 2004, 03:11
Carswell is quite a big base - it's a Naval Reserve Base - which always confused me considering it's miles from the sea, but hey, this is Texas It has a pretty good BX - but it depends what you're used to really. I live about 70 miles east of Carswell and only bother to make the journey about twice a year - prices are not that much cheaper there than a local mall, but you don't pay the 8%-ish sales tax of course. The base itself is closer to Fort Worth and there's a good night out to be had there - just head for the downtown area and you should drop on lucky, if you see what I mean. Carswell's a good way from Dallas though - about an hour from the base to downtown Dallas which is probably a bit far for a taxi. If you do get to go to Dallas for a night out, head for either Addisson if you're posh (I'm not - but I love the place) or Greenville Avenue if you're just into a loud, but fun night. Doesn't really work for me, but I reckon I'm just getting too old!

As for the drive from Dallas down to Austin - hmmmm - less interesting than being dead. It'll take you about 3 to 4 hours and do watch out for the State Troopers - use the cruise control and stick to the limit - or it'll cost you big time (my other & (better?) half can testify to that!). Best advice would be to continue for a further hour's drive south to San Antonio - my favourite place in Texas.

It's getting hot now - about mid 30s c - and most of the severe weather is thankfully over, but it's very humid. Hope you have a good time. I've been here for 3 years and it's been great.

Hooley

gijoe
10th Jun 2004, 07:53
Thanks Hooley - all taken aboard.

G

Navaleye
10th Jun 2004, 15:26
OFBSLF,

Yes, absolutely. The Million Dollar Saloon on Greenville hit the spot everytime! If its still there ist worth the trip.

McD
10th Jun 2004, 17:41
gijoe --

It's been mentioned a couple times already by others, but I do want to emphasize that Carswell is not only in Fort Worth, it's actually on the far west side of Fort Worth. I'm not being pedantic, I just want you to realize that a jaunt over to Dallas won't be quick (it's over 40 miles from Carswell to downtown Dallas), especially considering the fact that the infrastructure / highway system hasn't kept up with the population growth in many areas.

Having said that, Carswell and Fort Worth have a lot to offer. It was previously a large USAF base, and still has many good facilities. I also agree heartily with emitex about visiting the Stockyards. (Don't be put off by the name of the area; it's much more interesting and varied than it sounds.)

I've driven between Fort Worth and Austin plenty of times, and while it may not be the most exciting of drives, it's not bad at all. It's about 190 miles from Carswell to downtown Austin, and it usually takes about 3.5 hours, unless you're driving in a rush hour. As far as stopping en route, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. If it's just a quick meal along the way, there are plenty of towns and small cities with restaurants right along the interstate. If you have time to spend, Waco isn't a bad stop -- it's about halfway between Carswell & Austin. You can have a stroll around the Baylor University campus (they have a museum, too), or you can walk along the Brazos river (sometimes there are free concerts in the park nearby). There's also the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, as well as the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame. I don't know if any of that interests you, but they're just a few ideas.

Austin is a great city, though. Plenty to see & do there--Have a wonderful time!

Navaleye
10th Jun 2004, 18:54
McD, yes you're right sorry to be misleading. I lived in Las Colinas which is right between the two. Distance is less meaningful in TX than the UK.

Milt
11th Jun 2004, 07:19
Carswell used to be a B52 base.

Motel called Greenoaks Inn is right in line with runway and just off the end. Signs in the rooms advised that the enormous racket produced by an airborne alert resulting in a stream of B52s and tankers was "The Sound of Freedom"

Don't forget to wear your Stetson.

Gainesy
11th Jun 2004, 07:55
Greenoaks!! I've been trying to remember the name of that damn place since this thread popped up. Thanks for putting it to rest Milt.

emitex
11th Jun 2004, 12:41
Greenoaks eh?

Looks to be slightly more upmarket than the Vickery Motel (or is it Motel Vickery? Depends which direction you're driving...).

:p

Gainesy
11th Jun 2004, 14:25
Don't remember it being upmarket, but remember sitting out with a cold one watching the Buffs and a few Navy Reserve F-8s. (Which were not at all effete).

OK, I've got me coat...